Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Need some advise

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 01:17 AM
stock28
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advise

I'm planning on selling my V Star in the next couple months and purchasing a new bike. Right now, I'm leaning towards an 06 Dyna Super Gluide Custom and have some questions. The first thing I want to do is get new pipes installed. I have V & H Cruisers on my Star and love the sound, loud but not too obnoxious. The dealer told me they can install a Stage 1 with SE II pipes at the time of purchase. However, the bike is pricey enough as is and I was considering just the pipes for now. If the SE II's are installed alone, would I need to have anything else done such as the re map? Would I be able to simple have the Stage 1 completed at a later time with no problems? I mentioned the SE II's over the SE's listed in the catalog because I have been told that the SE's sound similar to stock. Is this correct? Thanks.

Old 10-30-2005, 09:18 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Need some advise

You can do the slipons with no other mods to the ECM. If you do the intake, you need some fuel enrichment. The downloads for the 06's are still questionable. Some say they are not available yet and others say not needed with the 02 sensors on the dynas. My suggestion would be to get the TFI unit and do it yourself when you put on the intake.It's an easy install and setup.

This forum will give you some answers https://www.hdforums.com/forumid_247...smode_1/tt.htm

Old 10-30-2005, 08:27 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi,

First off, let me say I don't claim to be an expert.[&:]

I went from a Kawasaki Vulcan 800A to a Dyna Superglide. You CAN in fact put the SE II pipes on without changing anything. It's when you change the intake that a new tune is needed.

This is when it gets interesting.....many choices, DynoTech Power Commander, Rev-Tech RFO, SERT, etc.

My person opinion......put the SE II mufflers on (or better yet S&S mufflers, which are a little louder).

Ride it around a little, if you want more power, go with a "Sreamin' Eagle gear down kit". At the same time, have them put in a Screamin' Eagle Pressure plate. It's only about 30 bucks more, and with the gear down kit, you'll need it. The gear down kit makes the bike alot more "snappy" around town, and still works good on the highway too! (as long as you don't want to go over about 80 for extended times....).

If the dealer does this work for you, it SHOULD be covered under warranty, as they're Harley parts, but MAKE SURE!

The front pipes on the stock bike are perfect for an 88 inch motor. They have the crossover pipe which is optimal for scavenging the exaust, and with some high flow mufflers, you'll be in really good shape! The gear down kit will really help get her movin'! I suggest you go ride it around before doin' the gear down kit, you might have enough power with just the pipes!

You change the intake, you WILL have to do some tuning, and that's when it gets expensive, trust me!

joe

Old 10-31-2005, 12:24 AM
stock28
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I know it gets expensive. Talked to the service center today and was told the SE air kit was around $300 and would take three hours labour with the install including the pipes and remap at $70 an hour. I'll do the math for you.. it's about $800 for the Stage I with SE slip ons. That's why I'm thinking just pipes first. But then the service center tells me that I need a remap with any pipe change on the Dyna, including just slip ons. That's why I'm asking. Seems everyone has a different answer about the need for a remap.

Old 10-31-2005, 02:54 PM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The whole down load thing is a waste of money , as they are still not correct for A/F buy a PC or a SERT and be done with it. Hard to understand how anyone could spend as much on a new bike and then try to save money and have the bike run poorly. It may be that the dealer is blowing smoke up well you know what I am saying. For the cost of the down load and then to still have trouble there is no money back deal there. Plus you cannot changin timing, those down loads are generic, you can take two bike same upgrades and have tow maps that are completely different.

Many times the owner is not even aware that there is a problem until too late. The lean condition is most common. Most times you will see early valve seal failure, and pipes that are discolored.

Old 10-31-2005, 03:10 PM
dert
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess just not "hip" enough.Why all the mods..How fast does one need to go ?Almost every HD Ive seen modified /various stage kits,have all been problematic ,(not all) but Id say the majority.Why not leave the bike alone .The factory does a great job and has for years Mine has never been tore into after 57.000 miles ,.Nothing done to it to 'Hop"it up .Friends have had their newer bikes modified and staged to the hilt and are always having problems with them.These are just my feelings on Stage kits.Maybe its just our Dealership here that doesnt have the smarts when it comes to installing the mods .

Old 10-31-2005, 10:25 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Right on!!

I didn't start modifying without KNOWING I might cause a "problem child"!

Done CORRECTLY, you can mildly modify your motor and still keep drivability...that means go conservative on cams, etc.

So far...knock on wood, mine is rock solid, except it like to shake bolts loose

joe

Old 10-31-2005, 11:54 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe this is the part no for the '06 Dyna "download" - 34239-06 Don't let your dealer install an '05 map or tell you the '06 maps are not available or tell you that '06 Dynas don't need to be remapped. They are available and they are easy to get.

HD is now calling them "calibration cartridges", but for all purposes they are the same thing. Here is a link to the part-

http://www.hmhd.com/webstore/viewite...239%2D06&Back=

You need, at minimum, this cartridge if you upgrade your AC. You can probably get away without it if you just run slip-ons (I am right now), but you add the AC and you need to do something to the EFI.