Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Broke it......

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007 | 08:38 AM
TIPN8R
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default Broke it......

Well, driving in this morning at 5:45 on the NY Thruway, I lost power, bike started smoking outta the top end....
Called the wife, she hooks the trailer up, and she heads out. Flatbed shows up on the Thruway and I luck out with a really cool guy who says, I don't want to tow it, i'll stay behind you and we'll wait for your wife to show up! Man, did I luck out to have a fellow biker enthusiast show up, the guy said it's just too nice a bike to tow, and normally I wouldn't have a choice since the NY Thruway is a restricted highway, but this dude was the best. Then a buddy of mine is driving by, who also owns a softail, wife shows up, load the bike on the trailer, and take it home. Now, I'm sitting here at work trying to figure out what went wrong....

I tried to start it on the side of the road, and the instant she starts, and you blip the throttle, she smokes like crazy outta the top end, and I also now notice of puddle of oil under the bike. Since I am not home yet, and haven't taken off any of the tin yet, I am just looking for some quick advice, not that i'm gonna really need much since I know it's not going to be good.......

I figure I'll pull off the exhaust, tanks, drain, the primary and oil out, then tearing into the motor to see what's up. Hopefully it didn't tear up anything.......but we'll see........wish me luck!........[&o]

Old 06-30-2007 | 10:00 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: Broke it......

Well, speaking from experience like yours 3 different times, I can bear some bad newspossibilties. Twice, I burned holes in pistons due to intake leaks. The third time and last time, I had a wrist pin clip come out and the wrist pin chewed up the cylinder wall. If you see oil coming out of one of your pipes, get your wallet out.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17633/88B0ECB9B26B4634B94A80DFF2F897A5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-30-2007 | 10:12 AM
TIPN8R
|
Stellar HDF Member

xxx, i hear ya, I am all prepared to shell it out. BUT, if that's the case, this motor will get a COMPLETE overhaul, and I will squeeze every last bit of juice I can with it! The only set back is when I bought this bike, the previous owner had this S&S motor installed, and promised me a build sheet, but said he lost it, so at least i'll get to see what cam is in it along with other pieces too. I just hope it's literally not in pieces inside.........but we shall see........

Old 06-30-2007 | 10:57 AM
TXCHOP
Road Master

Ah man, sorry to hear. At least you got it home relatively easy. Just curious as to where on the thruway was it . I was traveling down from newburgh to nyack this morning and did not see anyone stranded. How many miles on the build........?

Old 06-30-2007 | 11:28 AM
Hammer02
Road Warrior

The good news here...is that enough money can cure anything.

Keep us posted.

Old 06-30-2007 | 11:59 AM
TIPN8R
|
Stellar HDF Member

Bagger,
I was stuck between Airmont Rd. and the GSP exit on the southbound side.
I did see a sweet bagger go by too....

Hammer, I may have gotten away cheap with just a blown gasket, but we'll see when I tear into it when I get home.......and your right.......$$$ will make it better

Old 06-30-2007 | 08:45 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior

So................??

Old 06-30-2007 | 09:19 PM
TIPN8R
|
Stellar HDF Member

Well, just got done tearing it down. Took off the rocker covers, basically right down to getting ready to pull off the cylinder head. Not a broken or blown gasket anywhere....SO, chatting with a few local guys, and one super helpful member from another site, we all pretty much have conquerd that it has to be that the rear cylinder stop firing due to an ignition problem. Rear cylinder and front cylinder had almost exactly the same compression in each, and no signs of any foul play inside the motor.
So, will get gaskets on Monday, clean the crap outta everything, and reinstall. Will then see what's up with this dam Dynatek system. Not too worried because this unit is not even 2 months old, and will be fully warrantied......................again
Will upload some pics in a bit too!

Old 07-04-2007 | 08:41 PM
TIPN8R
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default RE: Broke it......UPDATE!

Well, after taking another compression test, came up with 155 outta the front jug, and "0" out of the rear
So........ripped her all apart, and what do I find?
She swallowed a rear compression ring, scored the cylinder up, and f'd up the bottom of the head a bit....[&o]
The plus side to this is that I finally got to see that the previous owner had a big bore kit done along with a S&S crank and rods.
So, now I have to wait until I see if these jugs can be saved, if not, I will add a set to my ever growing list.
1. S&S heads
2. Pistons, rings, gaskets (3 5/8" bore)
3. New jugs?
That's if for now, until tomorrow..........will have pics posted as soon as I find some time, later.....

Old 07-06-2007 | 06:45 AM
TIPN8R
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default RE: Broke it......UPDATE!

GREAT NEWS!!! Jugs are OK, a simple bore job, and their fixed!
Heads can be saved, and what a relief too.
Found out what the stamp "HQ" was on the intake sides. These heads have been ported and polished by Head-Quarters and supposedly flow as good if not, better than the S&S heads. (that's at least from what i have read, and heard, so don't quote me on it LOL)
Gonna yank the pistons off tonite, and pull the cam out to see what it is. Then depending on which one it is, I will go from there. Gonna pull off the oil pump to and inspect it. If it looks iffy, gonna replace with either a Jims, or S&S pump.
Want to get this scoot running very soon. The weather is finally starting to stay nice, and don't want to miss too many nice days

Quick Reply: Broke it......