Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Broke it......

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007 | 07:56 AM
TIPN8R
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default RE: Broke it......UPDATE! PICS

mtnlvr, Thanks, my thoughts too. I am looking at this too:

It's an AIR RAMP from S&S, supposedly flows 80% more cfm's and removes more air and oil from the crankcase. Just not sure it's worth the $50 extra........

Old 07-14-2007 | 06:16 AM
TIPN8R
|
Stellar HDF Member

Well, to do things right, I decided to yank the motor out. So, I yanked out the starter, pulled off the whole primary assembly, and next is to take off motor mounts, and pull out motor. Going to bring it to the shop to have him split the cases, replace all bearings, and put back together. Then I will repaint and reinstall. No sense in taking any chances for any crap to have gotten caught up somewhere where I can't see, and waste my $$$ for just a few more bucks spent on more of a insurance move.....
I just ordered up one of these for my primary chain:

It's a HYDRAULIC AUTOMATIC PRIMARY CHAIN TENSIONER by Sohotbikes
I really like the idea of it being hydraulic vs. spring loaded.

Old 07-14-2007 | 11:07 AM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior

I think you'll definitely like the decision to pull 'er. You won't have to be wondering if there's that one piece of metal clunking around somewhere inside when you hear some noise 500 miles from your house.

Old 07-14-2007 | 12:37 PM
TIPN8R
|
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks mtnlvr!

I just was reading up on breathers, and although I do have an S&S one in there now, I just saw this new one made by them that looks like another route i can go, but I don't know enough about it yet.

It's a new model made by S&S which works off of crankcase pressure and opens when the pressure in the crankcase becomes greater than the pressure in the cam chest, thus no moving parts. NO aligning marks, or rotating parts.
http://www.jpcycles.com/catalog/2007...alog/0978.html

Any thoughts?

Old 07-14-2007 | 04:16 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior

That's the one I recently installed. I can't say much about it yet...not enough miles with it. I put it in because I too liked the no rotating feature. I've heard that some don't believe it can allow as much air through it. Before I installed it I blew through it and it took hardly anything to open the reeds.

Hey...if you remember and you don't mind, ask your builder about this. Sorry for the plug on my thread.

Old 07-14-2007 | 07:20 PM
TIPN8R
|
Stellar HDF Member

No sweat, i'll ask him on Monday for ya, see if he has any clue.

Old 07-14-2007 | 08:37 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

I just put ona HB125 hydraulic primary chain tensioner on Thursday. It's been raining when I've had the time for a ride so I haven't gone very far, but, it seems to shift better, it's easier to find neutral and it isn't jerky atlow rpmsin first gear on the trail to and from my shed, about 600 feet. I'm diggin' it so far.

Old 07-16-2007 | 05:34 AM
TIPN8R
|
Stellar HDF Member

Good to hear Wally. Just saw one on ebay Sat. new in box. Hopefully I will win the bid, and see it by the end of the week. Also will save around 30 bucks too.

Can't wait for this to be done!

Old 07-16-2007 | 08:35 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

Buddy and I took a little 200 mile spin yesterday. The HB 125 is a definate improvement. No noise, smoother shifts and easier to find neutral for sure.

Old 07-16-2007 | 10:15 AM
TIPN8R
|
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks for the update Wally, appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Broke it......