Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Broke it......

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007 | 07:23 PM
Jman67
Tourer
Default RE: Broke it......UPDATE!

Great...good luck man!

Old 07-06-2007 | 07:51 PM
JeffSG
Road Warrior

Nice bike. Sounds like it wasn't so bad afterall. Keep us posted on the fix and with pics.

Peace,

Old 07-07-2007 | 05:10 AM
TIPN8R
|
Stellar HDF Member

You bet guys! Would be nice to go through the gears with the front wheel off the ground! Can anyone say, "wheelie's"! We'll see!
I should hear a definet answer on the heads by Monday as to being able to just rebuild with what I have, or if I need to get all new valve train, just may opt to do that anyway.
Just ordered up a Jim's oil pump, didn't want to take any chances with this new set-up!

Old 07-07-2007 | 12:07 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

TIPN8R ~ If you call Doug @ Head-Quarters, with the number that follows the HQ stamp, he can look them up and probably tell you a bit about the build. He doesn't do heads w/o knowing how they are gonna be used so he can set them up right. He also keeps great records and isa really fun guy to talk to.

Good luck!

Old 07-07-2007 | 12:48 PM
TIPN8R
|
Stellar HDF Member

Phil, you read my mind buddy. I have to call my shop and have him give me those numbers, and i'll call on Monday. When I was checking out their site, I thought the same thing, but then got busy at work and didn't have time.
Thanks for reminding me!

By the way, I went with an S&S billet pump instead. Someone owed me a favor and got it relatively cheap.

Can anyone offer any advice on any tips or tricks to replacing an oil pump? It's pretty straight forward, pulling off the cam cover, and such, but just thought I'd get a few different opinions.
Thanks!

By the way Phil, when i'm done, we'll have to get some more wheelie pics up!

Old 07-08-2007 | 08:31 AM
TIPN8R
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default RE: Broke it......UPDATE! PICS

Old 07-09-2007 | 10:38 AM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior

Ouch...what caused the clip to pop out? (assuming that's what happened)

Old 07-09-2007 | 11:34 AM
TIPN8R
|
Stellar HDF Member

The clip didn't pop out, I pulled them off. Basically from what I figure and my shop figures, is that it was the timing was wrong causing it to run too hot, and detonate......
The good thing is that I am finding out what made it tick from the previous owner, and am putting it back together even better than it was before.
I should have taken pics of the heads to, but forgot.
Hopefully by tomorrow I will know when I'll be getting back all my stuff to reassemble.............i'm going through withdrawls..........[8D]

Old 07-09-2007 | 06:04 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior

...i'm going through withdrawls....
Join the club. I'm about to tear into mine again to deglaze the cylinders and throw in some new rings. This will be the third time down this year. Should've left well enough alone I guess.

Old 07-09-2007 | 06:14 PM
TIPN8R
|
Stellar HDF Member

I feel for ya, it's my 2nd time down too. First time due to frying the ignition, and now this.........at least the first time didn't cost me a dime Can't say that about this time thou........[8D]

Quick Reply: Broke it......