Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Cam Plate Cooking

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 06:29 PM
Freedom
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Plate Cooking

I want to remove and replace cams, chain tensioners, etc Without having a press and the specialty tools available I have to use the wifes oven. What temperture and time frame would be safe without damaging the tensioners?

Has anyone used this method?

www.harleyhog.co.uk

I tried it at 425 F cams and bearings fell right out. PRETTY Seemed to damage the tensioner springs when I put them back in, not sure. What would be a safe and effective temp?

Old 06-25-2007, 09:18 PM
AMRAAM
Novice
Default RE: Cam Plate Cooking

I have not done this process in the oven only with a press but FYI. Aluminum expands at .0013 per 100 degree F. the spring on the tensioners should not be affected by the 425 deg F number. I do not know the exact alloy of the spring, but this tempis well below what is normally used to temper springs.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:52 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

when i did mine i set the oven on 200. the front cam will come out without heat or a press. after heating a brass hammer or plastic hammer will remove the back cam. Auto zone has a bushing puller set that in combination with their slide hammer will remove the inner cam bearings from the block. install the new inner bearings using an old cam as the driver. put all new parts in the freezer overnight so they will practically fall into the heated cam support (heat again for reassembly). piece of cake.

The following users liked this post:
SFinley70 (05-06-2020)
Old 06-27-2007, 05:23 AM
JLOCKHART29
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Like Huff said I just use a socket and hammer to tap the old bearings out of the plate then freeze new cams and install the bearings on them. May need to use a deep well socket of appropriat size to seat the bearing on front cam if I remember correct. Next heat the plate to 325 for 10 min. and cams/bearings should fall in. Be quick asit will cool quick. Have chain and cam marks ready when pulling plate from oven. As far as bearings in case I always replace with Timkins how ever I bought the correct Georges tools to remove and install them as if you screw up cam plate can get a new one realitive cheap verses screwing up right case realitive expensive so to speak!! Also chance collapsing needle bearing cages and droping a few into the case. Not good. The George remover incases the bearing as it is removed to prevent this. Partner tryed 250 degrees and would not go in all the way.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:22 AM
20NightTrain03
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

what if you do have a press, any way getting around the special tools?

sockets and such maybe?

Old 06-29-2007, 12:24 AM
20NightTrain03
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: huffhuff
install the new inner bearings using an old cam as the driver
how far in do they go? i dont think they are blind bearings, correct me if i am wrong

would like to know for when my time comes

thanx!

Old 06-29-2007, 02:03 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

I've got a combo tool that works great for TC engines 99-06. If anyone wants to borrow it, just requires a $50 paypal deposit and you get all back (minus shipping and $10 for me) upon return of the tool. One member here's already borrowed it with good results . When I did my swap I used Harley Hog's method and it worked fine......directly after that I obtained a press that the high school auto trade shop was getting rid of becuase they got a new one

Old 06-29-2007, 11:22 AM
JLOCKHART29
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm sure a socket will work as long as it presses on the bearing walls and not the cages alone. The oven method is the way to go. Even GMR Performance does it that way and they have the correct tools and presses. By correctly heating the plate the cams will fall into the correct spot. The inner bearings go in to just flush on the instulation side of the case. The George tool has a shoulder that will not let you push it in any more.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:45 PM
Sleeps In Trees
Road Master

I use 300 deg & feel better about using the oven method than possibly side-loading the bearings w/a press.

VicW.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:37 AM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We do heat the bearing and gears first and they drop on the cams, let them cool while the plate comes up to temp( now please do not leave tensioners on if you are going chain drive route) one the plate is up to temp they will drop in. These method will not displace any aluminum like pressing and has offered us no issues at all with inner grear lash.

Quick Reply: Cam Plate Cooking