Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

2007 Sportster Roadster 1200 Wont start

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 01:07 PM
2007roadster
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Sportster Roadster 1200 Wont start

I'm just looking for some answers. I know its under warranty but I just dont understand what happened. The bike is 2 months old and now today it wont run. Its Sunday and I will call Harley tommorow. The history of the bike is at exactly 300miles I noticed a leak in the rear cylinder head, and took it in to the dealer he said wait till the thousand mile check up and they will fix it then. At this time I told him I was going to put new pipes on the bike asked if I should wait, and his answer was it didn't matter because it would not affect anything. The bike always seemed to run a little sluggish and knock at low crusing speeds and I just figured it was just the brake in period, and this would get better as time went on. I then installed V&H staggered shortshots the V&H fuelpak and a K&N high performance air filter. I noticed the bike ran much much better like night and day. Well anyways the dealer told me to give them a call when I reached 800 miles and set a time up for my service, and thats wat I did a week or so ago. Last Wednessday I rode the bike to work and every thing was fine, it ran great. Well yesterday I tride to start it and go for a ride with my wife and all it did was run for a second and die, seemingly just enough for the fuel that was delivered for the initial normal startup. It then did this over and over again till I drained the battery. I put a charger on the battery and started to think what was wrong. A friend (mechanic) just happened to stop by (he also owns a 2006 Night train) and thought I might of got bad gas. I thought it would be strange because I had rode with him just 6 days earlier and had no problems and even on Weds to work, with no problem, with the same gas in the bike. Anyways I syphoned the gas out, filled with new premium gas, and some dry gas stabilizer. Still the same problem it only seems to start for a couple of seconds dies as if not getting anymore gas than for the initial start from the fuel pump. I then pulled the plugs the were totally covered in carbon. I thought what the hell? I remembered those days back in the late 70's early 80's when I was on a Yamaha and a couple of my friends rode harleys and I would laugh at them because when their bikes would run they ran great but run is the key word. they always had problems. Anyways back to my problem, so I thought it was strange the plugs were covered and went to autozone and bought new plugs ( mind you I'm 10 miles from the nearest anything like autozone) I put in the new plugs and the same thing almost wants to run but just dies in 2-3 seconds. I did this for a while and gave up, this was yesterday, Sat, I just went out and tried it a little but still the same thing. I tooked out the new plugs and they are completely covered in carbon. Friends just called to go riding and I told them my bike wont start and they could not believe it. I have been reading on the internet of problems with new fuel injected Harleys running way to hot and am guessing this has something to do with it. I am wondering if there is a lemon law that I might need to use I hope the problem is a simple fix and am asking for anyones advice before I talk to the dealer.

jeff

Old 06-24-2007, 04:18 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Sportster Roadster 1200 Wont start

Disconnect the fuel pack and try it again....your getting way too much fuel. Now if it starts (and it will) don't ride it too long because with the pipes and air filter and no fuel managment it will be too lean.
Good Luck

Old 06-24-2007, 09:53 PM
jmetro
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I second that, take out the fuel pak, and get a power commander, i have seen soooooooooooooo many problems that stem from the fuel pak, and this sounds like another.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:11 AM
2007roadster
Stage III

Well thanks for the advice. I appreciate you both for your getting back with replies. I will call HD today and have sent an email to Vance and Hines also will call and talk to one of their techs. I will post what happens later. BTW cool bike jmetro.

jeff

Old 06-26-2007, 10:32 AM
2007roadster
Stage III

Well after reading your replies, talking with HD Dealer Service Dept, and Vance and Hines Tech support everyone said the same thing remove the Fuelpak and see if it will run, so I did. No luck! Vance and hines sid because the bike is still doing the same thing its a Harley problem. The dealership is going to come and pick up the bike from me (for a charge they said) I thought what a joke, a brand new Bike under warranty, and their charging me to come get it because after 800 miles it won,t run, some warranty. I will just have to see what happens and hold my breath.

jeff

Old 06-26-2007, 10:55 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd get rid of that fuel pack anyway and get a better fuel managment system

Old 08-11-2007, 05:05 PM
junk runner jr
Intermediate

What ever happened with this? Did you get a resoloution? I am having a similar problem. BTW I have the Short Shots and the Fuel Pak as well.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Roses
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trollin', Trollin', Trollin', on the forums.

(sung to rollin' on the river)

Two trolls for the price of one on this post.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

More than likely, your Fuel Pressure Regulator Seals are bad.....

There is a retrofit for this, and it is a freebie from HD....

Have the Service Dept do a fuel pressure test and fuel leakdown test.....

99% chance that is it......

Old 03-04-2011, 09:17 PM
angelineoo
Stage I

Can anyone tell me why the fuel pump on my 07 Custom Sportster 883 wont work. My bike will not start. I used to hear the fuel pump turn on before it starts now I don't hear it and my bike will not start. Can anyone please help me.. Thank you..

Quick Reply: 2007 Sportster Roadster 1200 Wont start