Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

v&h big shot w/powewr chamber. interseting.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007 | 05:14 AM
dl03
|
Tourer
Default v&h big shot w/powewr chamber. interseting.

hello everyone. its been awhile.

well i had purchased the above exhaust back in march. i have right now crane ign module and crane coil. i also have magnacore 8.8 (i think or 8.5 mm) wires with Brisk plugs. s/e a/c and B.C.T baffles. i had her dyno tuned with this set-up. 74 h/p and 80 t.

well we have a loud pipe contest comming up in a couple of weeks. so i decided to take out my baffles. i know the whole thing about valve burning and re-version. believe me i am a believer in it. but i swear as god is my witness that i gained top end and lost no bottom end torq. it pulls just as hard as it did w/ them in on the low end and pulls even harder now on the top end. i checked for re-version with a paper towel several times and there was none. why u say???

well i think it may be due to the power chamber in these particular pipes. wich we all know acts like a factory cross-over,but with an X desighn. is it possible that this X chamber is creating enough back pressure to run them w/o baffles. it feels more powerfull than it did with the B.C.T's in them. only time will tell. but they are staying out for now. i have alittle backfiring on hard 2nd gear de-cells,but only a couple of crakkles.

now thinking along those lines what do you guys think?? sorry for the long version, i just wanted to be as clear as possible. ask any questions u want.
thanks again. jay

Old 06-21-2007 | 12:48 PM
JLOCKHART29
Road Captain
Default RE: v&h big shot w/powewr chamber. interseting.

Jay, I was talking to Mike Stegman at Latus about his thought on my dyno run and what would help my dip between 2 and 3.5k. He said the that the Power Chamber would never work like a good 2 into 1. However he said cutting 2 inches off the stock B.S baffels would give a big increase over the full length baffels but would loose some on the bottom. I am getting a spair set of baffels from a friend and will see. It may be awhile before I have dyno proof as am going to add Makuni 45 in early fall and will do dyno runs tunning the Mikuni 1st then with full baffel verses modified baffel to see if what I gain on top is worth loss on bottom. With my bike and the way its set up (Light FXST, no bags or wind shield, 1 up when acting a fool!) I can give up some low end torque for HP. Same therie as crotch rockets but there is with anything a break point where you hurt self swapping torque for HP.

Old 06-21-2007 | 04:57 PM
dl03
|
Tourer
Default RE: v&h big shot w/powewr chamber. interseting.

i hear ya. it is alway a toss up on what to build for. with my bike i have to build towards torq. i am currently working on stting her up for solo, with all the quick detach stuff so i can go back to 2-up.

but i think these power chambers act like a baffle in a way. like i said i have lost nothing on the bottom end. and if i did it is definately not enough to make a difference, and i made up for it on the top end. she will pull from the ime the cam kicks in to my 6250 redline. i noticed no seat of the pants dip in power,but thats not to say its not happenning, i just don't feel it.

at any rate i will keep it like this b/c i plan on doing the axtell 97" kit with matchedbig boyz heads and and gear drive cams. if i can get close to 90 h/p and 90-100 torq there will def be no need for baffles. i'd rather have max sound instead of 2-4 lbs of torq that i would be losing. its never loud enough.
thanks for replying.