Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

!03 Build Rinehart TD's Sluggish

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 07:09 PM
chriscalabro
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Default !03 Build Rinehart TD's Sluggish

I am posting this cause I have been unable to find anything on this issue. I just switched to Rinehart True Duals on my 07 RG. Immediately after mounting these I foind that exactly 25 minutes into a new ride the engine oil temp skyrockets from a norm of 210 top over 260. I have retightened the exhaust flanges, removed the oil cooler thinking perhaps that was blocked, checked the plugs (fine), drained and refilled the oil to make sure that I did not see any particles (no), the bike rolls smoothly when running with the clutch in so it is not a dragging brake or belt problem.

Bottomline: after 25 minutes the bike could be passed by a 5 year old on a tricycle. No power, rising heat. Once it cools it is fine again for the next 25 minutes.

I doubt very much it is the exhaust (though that was the only change before the problem started). The damn exhaust is just a pipe and I would think that if the back pressure was excessive it would show up earlier in the ride.

So it is under warranty and is going in tomorrow to be checked out. Will advise the outcome, but this is puzzling.....

I have remapped the SERT several times with no change

Idea's experience welcome

Old 06-20-2007, 07:20 PM
MiniMe
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: !03 Build Rinehart TD's Sluggish

I understand your frustration however to help you more I know others will want more information.

What mods did you do other than the pipes, did you change the air cleaner?

Did the bike run fine before the mods were made?

Which map did you load into the SERT?

It could be a combination of things, it could be to lean, timing could beoff, are you hearing any spark knock? It could be a bad sensor. Provide some more information so others can help you more. You will receive several different ideas on what you problem could be.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:29 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

It's been my experience that the rear cylinder runs MUCH leaner than the front with the Rienheart True Duals so with out a new map the rear cylinder can and will over heat....and it's a well known fact the true duals have a substantial power loss in the lower rpm range.
Seeing how all this happened 25 minutes after you changed the pipes I'd say there is a good chance it IS the pipe change....get it tuned by some one who knows what they are doing.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:17 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Chris, Doc is telling you right, this just happened to me, well almost the same, I have V&H tru duals with Rush mufflers, my bike started pinging real bad, called up my tuner and he said that they had just found that on some models that you now have to map both cylinders with tru duals, he remapped mine and it pulls alot better than it did, he also took out some timing, -3 until around 1800 to 2000 rpm's up to 80% throttle, he said I could play around with that a little but I am sort of afraid to, what you think about the timing on that Doc.