Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Overlap -> occasional popping = Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:27 AM
cobaltking
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Overlap -> occasional popping = Normal?

Hi,

I have S&S 585's in a 95ci engine with Edelbrock heads and a Super E. I know, I should get a woods carb or a Mikuni . . . but for ease of use for the momentI have the Super E . . . in any case when coming off tha gas after a good 3/4 open throttle shot (still breaking in the engine and have only revved to 3500) I get some popping. Now, I should mention, that it is usually only one or two pops, then it settles down . . .

Can that popping be attributed to the overlap of the 585's or can it be an issue with the jetting? I am fairly certain that the jetting is good, but I may be wrong . . .

Oh, one more thing. I get a chirping sound out of the carb at a certain throttle position . . . it is funny. I get it when accelerating, holding it steady or when coming off the throttle. It sounds kinda like an old single, or perhaps even an old beetle. It goes away if I move the throttle more in either direction. Anyone have any insight on that?

Old 06-20-2007, 05:45 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Overlap -> occasional popping = Normal?

Popping is caused by #1 improper fuel settings, #2 exhaust leaks, #3 over or under savaging exhaust systems, #4 and/or timing issues. Even though you MIGHT have the jets right, you have to think what fuel circuit you are on when the throttle is closed....yes...the idle mixture. This little screw plays a big part in too much or too little fuel during decel. You can rule out cam over lap as a cause of decel popping.

Chirping coming out of the carb related to a certain throttle position would tell me to look at the throttle plate and shaft. If the carb has a lot of miles on it it is possible the throttle body is worn at the throttle shaft.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:05 AM
cobaltking
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Overlap -> occasional popping = Normal?

Thanks for the input! I will look into it.