Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Vance and Hines

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 07:26 PM
Sallenthornton
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vance and Hines

Just purchased a 2018 street bob and looking at exhaust options. Really liking the looks of the Vance and Hines shorts, but worried about how loud they are. I’m not too concerned with my neighbors, it’s more about me; the exhaust looks to stop at the rider and I don’t want it to be too loud in my ear. Anyone have any thoughts on this or have a recommendation? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-25-2017, 02:26 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 766 Posts

Can't get much louder exhausts than those. But they are good at robbing low end power.
There's lots of options out there. A lot depends on what you're looking for- sound, performance, or both. And what kind of budget you have.

Old 12-25-2017, 03:39 PM
Sallenthornton
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nevil
Can't get much louder exhausts than those. But they are good at robbing low end power.
There's lots of options out there. A lot depends on what you're looking for- sound, performance, or both. And what kind of budget you have.
That’s what I wanted to hear. Not looking for something obnoxiously loud. Looking more for a better sound than stock and looks good on the bike. Any recommendations? Being new to Harley’s, not entirely sure where I should be liking (other than the dealer).

Old 12-30-2017, 05:33 PM
johnv50
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would contact V&H and tell them what you want. Those short pipes will surely affect low end torque and will be almost obnoxiously loud. I put Monster Ovals on my 2015 FLHTKL and they are slightly louder and much deeper, can"t notice any loss on bottom end.

The following users liked this post:
roc2it (08-25-2019)
Old 12-30-2017, 05:57 PM
Sallenthornton
Intermediate

Originally Posted by johnv50
I would contact V&H and tell them what you want. Those short pipes will surely affect low end torque and will be almost obnoxiously loud. I put Monster Ovals on my 2015 FLHTKL and they are slightly louder and much deeper, can"t notice any loss on bottom end.
Thanks for your response. I never thought that to contact the manufacturer. I figure if they were going to make an exhaust, that it would already be listed and available. I don’t want anything super loud or obnoxious. I’m just looking for something a little better looking than the stock pipes that will make me smile when looking at the bike.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:56 PM
EggDropX
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the V&H short shots. I put quiet baffles in them and it made a huge diffence. You do lose a bit of low end, but it’s barely, if at all, noticble compared to stock. Their quiet baffles help with that too. Sounds great, but exhaust sounds are purely personal preference.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:52 PM
Potchock
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi!
I got Vance and Hinse Bigshots staggered on my 1340 evo with baffles ( not the quiet baffles ) The sound is more '' throathier'' nicer, not so loud ( I try not to wake up the deads )
Where i live they are illegal and we can get a ticket once in a while ( $ 160.00 ) for the first offence and i think $ 230.00 for any subsequent violation. Everybody pays the fine an keep the pipes on. Where i got my only fine for them the municipal cops are very picky on non-compliant exhaust systems. Luckily, i don't live there and i learned to avoid the place.
I tried to post a clip on the off topic or Harley Davidson thread but i keep getting a message telling me that a security is missing.

Attached Thumbnails Vance and Hines-img_0118.jpg  

Last edited by Potchock; 01-26-2018 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Syntax fix
Old 08-25-2019, 08:27 PM
roc2it
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Head pipe on the tkl

Originally Posted by johnv50
What head pipe did you use? Tuner? I'm worried about ground clearance.