Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Smokin' hot?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 07:03 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Dropped my heads off...

Last night I vacuum pumped the oil out of the crank...a little over 2 ounces. About half of what I pulled out (and for some reason poured back in) the last time I had the jugs off.

Today I dropped off my heads, cylinders and pistons at the shop. He's going to disassemble the heads, clean them up, and bake them to look for cracks. He doesn't think he'll find anything.

He seems to think that the rings were stressed upon installation by the use of a ring spreader causing them to loose their "spring" then allowing oil by which is pushed up above the intake valve.

Tonight I'll be checking for clooged oil return ports on the top of the crank and for a clogged crankcase to oil tank vent line.

Any other things that could place oil on the front intake valve? Or other things I could check for clues?

Old 07-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Psycho
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That oil has got to be coming from the valve seals, or the top end, some way or another. Why would it puddle with the engine sitting otherwise??? Oil coming past rings can only come in when the engine is running. How could it puddle in a sitting engine if it were coming from underneath????

Old 07-12-2007, 08:37 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Psycho

That oil has got to be coming from the valve seals, or the top end, some way or another. Why would it puddle with the engine sitting otherwise??? Oil coming past rings can only come in when the engine is running. How could it puddle in a sitting engine if it were coming from underneath????
Right? I wouldn't think it would be possible...unless there's that much oil on the walls of the ports and in the manifold that when the engine is turned off gravity pulls it downhill onto the valve.

By the way...I just checked the oil return ports in the top of the case and they are wide open and I wrapped my mouth around the oil tank's snout and blew it...get your mind outta there...and air easily escaped through the vent tube into the engine so that's not clogged either.

Any other thoughts?

Old 07-13-2007, 02:42 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior

Any other thoughts?
Anyone???....Bueller????....

Old 07-15-2007, 08:04 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior

Bueller????....... Anyone???... Please speak up if you have anything to add on this perplexing situation.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Fatboy931
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil in the crankcase could be from sumping. The check valve in the oil pump is leaking allowing oil the drain out of the tank.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:25 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior

I don't think I'm having a problem with sumping. When I had the jugs off 800 miles ago I siphoned out 4 oz of synthetic oil and for some reason I decided to put baack in 4 oz of standard HD 20w50 instead of leaving it dry. When I pulled the jugs last week, there was a little over 2 oz left. I think the check valve and oil pump are functioning properly. This time when I put 'er back together I wont dump any oil back into the case at all.

The problem I have is oil pooling up on the intake valve either while sitting, or while the engine is running enough such that when the engine is turned off gravity pulls the oil from the intake manifold and port(s) and leaves it atop the closed valve. But why?

Old 07-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Fatboy931
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only way to get oil into the intake track is from the breather system or from one of the valve guides or seals.You just had the heads done right? I'd be looking at whether a seal was damaged or oil is not draining back properly and overwhelming the seals

Old 07-16-2007, 05:07 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior

I suspect the valve seal as well.

What can get screwed up in the oil return / drain?
[ul][*]Umbrella valves on the wrong side...check.[*]Oil return port in head...check.[*]Oil return port in cylinder...check.[*]Oil return port in crankcase...check.[*]Oil return prts in heads...haven't checked but should've been good from the recent head work.[*]Head gasket improperly installed...pretty tough to do.[*]Base gasket improperly installed...pretty tough to do.[/ul]
I'm at a loss.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:47 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior

Heard back from the shop yesterday...said he'd "look at it for sure next week".

This summer sucks. Anyone got a top end I can borrow?

Quick Reply: Smokin' hot?