Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Time for an exhaust swap, need advice/help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 07:33 AM
GrovenSportster
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Time for an exhaust swap, need advice/help.

I've had a V&H Pro Pipe on my '12 Fat Bob since new. Never even rode it with the stock exhaust. The lower bracket has broken twice on me and I just recently welded it back together.

I'm tired of this exhaust and am thinking about getting the Thunderheader 2into1. My only concern about putting another 2into1 pipe on my bike is that lower exhaust bracket. I DO NOT want to have to weld up another bracket like I've had to on this V&H pipe.

Does anyone have pix of the lower bracket for the TH pipe? I'd love to see it before I pull the trigger on it. And has anyone had cracking issues with their lower bracket?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:32 AM
Dennis Lett
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It's a rubber mount motor, if the bracket gets tightened to the frame too tight, the vibration is going to break it, eventually. That goes for all exhaust you install. If you could, try using smaller bolts, rubber bushings, and nylock nuts to avoid over tightening. May never have an issue again.

The following users liked this post:
GrovenSportster (09-23-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 01:03 PM
jangler14
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis Lett
It's a rubber mount motor, if the bracket gets tightened to the frame too tight, the vibration is going to break it, eventually. That goes for all exhaust you install. If you could, try using smaller bolts, rubber bushings, and nylock nuts to avoid over tightening. May never have an issue again.
On a rubber mount motor, the exhaust bracket gets mounted to the frame???
Yeah that will crack. Smaller screws is not the solution. A better design or better advice is....

Old 09-26-2017, 08:02 PM
GrovenSportster
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jangler14
On a rubber mount motor, the exhaust bracket gets mounted to the frame???
Yeah that will crack. Smaller screws is not the solution. A better design or better advice is....
No, it's not attached to the frame. It's attached to the lower portion of the transmission case. There's just way too much mass too far back from the mounting points. There's at least 20" of bracket dangling out back with that giant megaphone attached to it. I love the pipe's sound and performance but I'm tired of welding the crappy bracket up.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:11 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

I would double check the installation is per instructions and talk with V&H Tech support before letting go of that exhaust.

The following users liked this post:
GrovenSportster (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 12:16 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 284 Likes on 251 Posts

Take a look at the D&D Fat Cat. We have installed dozens of them on customers bikes and our own bikes and never had a problem with the mount breaking...

Old 09-27-2017, 12:56 PM
jangler14
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GrovenSportster
No, it's not attached to the frame. It's attached to the lower portion of the transmission case. There's just way too much mass too far back from the mounting points. There's at least 20" of bracket dangling out back with that giant megaphone attached to it. I love the pipe's sound and performance but I'm tired of welding the crappy bracket up.
Yeah that makes more sense on where it gets mounted.
I would do as another recommended and have a talk with manufacturer, they are a huge company and tech support over there should be able to get you straightened out. Maybe they have a better bracket or something these days?
Sounds like something isn't right on your setup with the repeated breaks though. I don't think it was designed to break with use?