Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

It's a Harley...no...its a VW...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 07:35 PM
HogGlider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's a Harley...no...its a VW...

I couldn't think of any other way to put this...but often when I find myself cruising onto the highway, (usually 50-55+), I hear that annoying "prrrrr" coming from my exhaust, very similar to that of the old VW bugs...not as profound...but still noticeable. I open the throttle a little more and it continues, after a while it seems to go away, or I just get used to hearing it and pay no attention.

Has anybody else noticed this issue with their bike? I ride an '07 Super Glide which is pretty much stock (no engine mods), I even went as far as (don't laugh, I had to try) taking a buddy's SEII slip-ons for his Softail and put them on my bike and still have the sound.

Any ideas what this could be? The bike has given no issues/hick-ups and seems to run just peachy, the noise just gets a little annoying...plus it makes for bad image when you pull up along side a car load of babes riding a VW....err I mean Harley.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:42 PM
the_icemAN
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: It's a Harley...no...its a VW...

are you hearing "POPPING"?

exhaust NOISE you hear isn't quite the same as what others around you hear. Realize you are 'ahead' of the mufflers and you don't hear quite the same as those behind you hear. Also not the same as what cages hear. With a 1/2 helmet (or no helmet) you hear mostly 'air' and only are picking up certain frequency ranges. If you are wearing a 3/4 or full helmet you are hearing more concentrated lower frequencies but not the same as what others hear.

My RH TDs sound 'quiet' to me until I get to say an underpass or tunnel and open the throttle. Then I can actually hear what my pipes sound like to others. To me under normal riding it is a nice 'hum'.

If you want to really hear what they sound like ... find a buddy who will ride your bike ahead of you get up to speed on their bike while behind and clutch-in and release the throttle so the bike you are on is as 'quiet' as can be. That will give you a little better sense of what your sound is really like.

Most of the time you aren't hearing the 'higher frequencies' as those are drowned out by the engine noise/wind.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:49 AM
Katubob
Stage III

// are you hearing "POPPING"?

Yes! I know excactly what you are talking about and I do not think that has nothing to do with that "what you hear isn´t what others hear" thing.

I have -07 street bob with Arlen Ness Big Sucker, and SE II Slip-ons.

When the motor is idle sound is quite ok, and same when accelerating.
But when you cruise at speed 40-60 then the VW sound kicks in.

I would also know how many has this "problem" and if somebody knows what causes that annoying sound.

One thing that comes to mind is the motor valve in exhaust, I don´t know is it in US models but here in europe it is installed...

Old 06-20-2007, 12:04 PM
hernan
Intermediate

'prrrrrrrr'

What do you expect from an engine designed in 1850? It will always sound like a VW!!! Actually its nothing wrong with that. Dont worry, just try to enjoy the sound...