Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

serious probem with 2007 96 cube engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 09:03 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: serious probem with 2007 96 cube engine

What's the problem? If he's getting new cases that will fix the problem.........that's an expensive fix for the factory. What's wrong with the sheetmetal, frame, tranny, bags, etc. that would warrant an entirely new bike? And he'll have it back faster, too.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:09 PM
fatboylust
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The MOCO rarely steps into any dispute between a customer and a dealership. The MOCO relies on a strict chain of command usually providing only lip service to those who bypass the chain. There is a regional representative between the the dealership and the MOCO. Once you exhaust satisfaction with the dealership you can request to speak to this personandmake you case. If the regional rep agrees with your position he can instruct the dealership accordingly.

FBL

Old 06-06-2007, 09:15 PM
mrsr71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many years ago I had a similarsituation with an American car (financed.) With less than a hundred miles I took it back and complained of the problem. They wanted to band-aid it and send me away. I refused, left the car on the lot, called a cab and my credit union that financed it. I explained the situation to them, they agreed I did the correct thing and they suspended all payments. End of story......didn't cost me a dime, except for the cab ride

Old 06-06-2007, 09:18 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: mp

What's the problem? If he's getting new cases that will fix the problem.........that's an expensive fix for the factory. What's wrong with the sheetmetal, frame, tranny, bags, etc. that would warrant an entirely new bike? And he'll have it back faster, too.
It might fix the problem. If the problem was in the cases...and the dealer's mechanic knows what the f- he's doing.

His engine won't necessarily be new after the mechinic throws his wrenches into it.

I'd feel much more comfortable about it if I had a new motor...not a rebuilt motor.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:34 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think it would cost more to tear apart his engine and put the guts into the new cases - i.e. labor, misc parts. I had a problem years ago with my S-10 transmission. Dealer tore it apart like four times (was leaking), also put guts into new case, still problems, finally replaced transmission, not a bit of problems after that.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:14 AM
zenwarrior
Cruiser

Wow! I feel for your friend..finally realizes his dream of owning a brand new HD and get a piece of crap, then gets treated like crap, has to sit on his a$$ while waiting for the stealership to fix it AND gets crap about it from the wife! Unsatisfied customers, the worst PR for your business...and lately there seems to be more and more of them! You can bet when his wife complains to her friends, there will be a few hubbys who will have to pull teeth to buy a new HD!

Old 06-07-2007, 08:38 AM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: mp

The problem as I see it is that the dealers quite often have a bunch of "techs" that don't know their a$$ from a hole in the wall and I for one wouldn't want them tearing into my bike to change the cases. You can EXPECT other problems once an engine is broken down in the field for sure. The only thing that I would accept is an entire new engine OR a replacement bike, not necessarily in that order.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:56 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

A new bike is crazy though....as the bike is not the problem. It is the engine that is the problem.

The screwed engine should be sent back for the factorys engine remanufacturing program. Of course, HD will cover all charges. Or they should swap engines. A mechanic going into it...is simply not an option.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:25 AM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Back when suzuki came out with the quadzilla my buddy purchased one and we brought it back to my place and headed out for some sand pits, the thing would overheat in just a few minutes, we took it back and they pulled the side cover and discovered there was a water passage that was never machined, they promplty gave him a brand new machine to go home with, not a "repaired "one, things like this can and do happen and with the amount we overpay for the HD brand you would think they would fork over a new bike just to save face, I guess they are still under the dilusion that it'sa sellers market.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:15 PM
luvriding
Advanced

My condolences to your friend. If you look under "softails" and then the heading "engine troubles," you can seethat I experienced something similar. My advice to your friend: If that particular dealership is telling you this is all they can do--get another opinion (i.e., another dealership that has a good reputation!)--warranty work can be transferable. Or contact the MotorCo yourself from the get-to, don't wait if you want a nightmare to begin. I would personally fight for a new motor.

Quick Reply: serious probem with 2007 96 cube engine