Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

TC88 chain to gear drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 10:28 AM
abjones
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC88 chain to gear drive

I am thinking of removing the chain drive and going to gear drive for cams. Every thing i hear about the twin cam is that it is much improved over the evo except in one area the chain drive.
I am no bike mechanic by any means, but in the past havedone some wrenching on autos. For those of you whohave performed this on your bikes, how complicated a job is it. Are there aftermarket gear drives that will work with out changing the stock cams. Do i go with Crane, S&S, Andrews. Any adviceor techenical info onthis subject would be appreciated.

ABJ

Old 06-01-2007, 10:30 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: TC88 chain to gear drive

I did my own. It was a very easy job. You cannot use the stock cams, because with a gear drive, thecams turn in opposite directions.

Which cam to use depends on what else you may plan to do to your bike, how heavy your bike is, and what kind of riding you like to do.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The TC engine typically runs 30 degrees hotter than an Evo. I would take a hard look at the 37g cam if I intended to take a lot of heat out of the engine and raise the compression some day. We use the 37's with our stage 2-1/2 with 10.4 to 1 compression, 103-105 torque, 96-98 hp, no pinging, takes 30-50 degrees temp out of the oil.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:44 AM
jmetro
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

switching to gears is more complicated than you think. you need a press and need to be very carefull pressing the gears onto the cams. you have to press the bearings in and out of the cam plate and the cams into the bearings. there are special press plates to avoid damaging the bearings.and as long as you are in there, you shouldupgrade all bearings, the cam plate and oil pump so that it will all last the life of the top end, if not the life of the bike.

but if you do all stated above, your twin cam will be the most reliable bike you can own.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:10 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: jmetro

switching to gears is more complicated than you think. you need a press and need to be very carefull pressing the gears onto the cams. you have to press the bearings in and out of the cam plate and the cams into the bearings. there are special press plates to avoid damaging the bearings.and as long as you are in there, you shouldupgrade all bearings, the cam plate and oil pump so that it will all last the life of the top end, if not the life of the bike.

but if you do all stated above, your twin cam will be the most reliable bike you can own.
You do not have to have a press. I "pressed" my gears on using my bench vise. I used the oven/freezer method to remove and install the bearings. Yes, the bearings should be swapped. No big deal, they come with the cam instal kit. The stock support plate is fine. The stock oil pump is also good enough for the job.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:24 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

You do not have to have a press. I "pressed" my gears on using my bench vise. I used the oven/freezer method to remove and install the bearings. Yes, the bearings should be swapped. No big deal, they come with the cam instal kit. The stock support plate is fine. The stock oil pump is also good enough for the job.

Yeap, What he said.......

Old 06-02-2007, 12:20 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kingofcubes

The TC engine typically runs 30 degrees hotter than an Evo. I would take a hard look at the 37g cam if I intended to take a lot of heat out of the engine and raise the compression some day. We use the 37's with our stage 2-1/2 with 10.4 to 1 compression, 103-105 torque, 96-98 hp, no pinging, takes 30-50 degrees temp out of the oil.
I am running TW-37G's in my 03 SuperGlide with stock 88 CI and heads and I love the cams. Best of both worlds, low end and top end grunt.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:51 PM
jmetro
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

BACKYARD MECHANICS AT THEIR BEST!!!

wouldn't trust those methods on my bike.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:43 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

BACKYARD MECHANICS AT THEIR BEST!!!

wouldn't trust those methods on my bike.
I'd assume you are talking about the oven/freezer method for bearing swapping. There are lots of paid wrenches that use that method. I learned about it from a paid wrench.

Don't knock it till you try it or at least read up on it. There's always more than one way to skin a cat.

http://www.harleyhog.co.uk/tensionerinstall4.htm

Old 06-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Sleeps In Trees
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The oven/freezer method works great & doesn't side-load the bearings like a press does.

VicW.

Quick Reply: TC88 chain to gear drive