Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

TC88 chain to gear drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 10:46 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TC88 chain to gear drive

Tell you what - the oven/freezer method if used correctly works great. I did not heat up past 250 degreesand 30 minutes in the freezer. My Dad's gear mfg company uses this technique to put large gears onto hubs - typically they just heat the gear and leave the hub as is.

But to answer question: with a service manual, a lot of research, and help from forum members, anyone who has wrenched on a car can do this.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:48 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

the S&S gears and cams are one piece so no press work needed at all. i feel the one piece cams have a closer tolerance and run quieter than the andrews that the gear is a separate piece. Mine are so quiet no one has asked me about them. the removal of the internal friction of the chain tensioners is dramatic.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:54 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: huffhuff

the S&S gears and cams are one piece so no press work needed at all. i feel the one piece cams have a closer tolerance and run quieter than the andrews that the gear is a separate piece. Mine are so quiet no one has asked me about them. the removal of the internal friction of the chain tensioners is dramatic.
I don't believe the S&S gears and S&S cams are one piece. I believe they just come with the gears already pressed on the cams. If they were "one" piece, that wouldn't allow users to swap cams later if they wanted to. Additionallly, if they were one piece, S&S would sell separate inner gears for guys that need an oversized or undersized gear to correct backlash problems.

BTW, if you didn't know it. Andrews makes the gears for S&S.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:25 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Jones, I wouldn't do it. IMO, the hysteria around cam tensioners failing is way overcooked. Yea, I know it's happened (and everyone seems to know someone or heard about someoneto whom it's happened), but I contend it's relatively rare. When I did my 95" I said wtf, go ahead and put the gear drive 26's in there......later, only to find I had what sounded like a fuggindiesel powered sewing machine after it got hot. Screwed around with different cam gears and pinion gears which helped a little but the real solution was going back to chains. I say the solution is just to go in and change the tensioner pads every 30K....what's that every 2 or 3 years? BFD.Some TC motors just aren't suited to gear drive and/or some folks just have a higher threshold for noise.

If I absolutely had to make an upgrade in that area, I'd look at Andrews' upgrade to the late style chain drive designfound on 06 Dynas & 07 TC's.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:03 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mtgriz

Jones, I wouldn't do it. IMO, the hysteria around cam tensioners failing is way overcooked. Yea, I know it's happened (and everyone seems to know someone or heard about someoneto whom it's happened), but I contend it's relatively rare. When I did my 95" I said wtf, go ahead and put the gear drive 26's in there......later, only to find I had what sounded like a fuggindiesel powered sewing machine after it got hot. Screwed around with different cam gears and pinion gears which helped a little but the real solution was going back to chains. I say the solution is just to go in and change the tensioner pads every 30K....what's that every 2 or 3 years? BFD.Some TC motors just aren't suited to gear drive and/or some folks just have a higher threshold for noise.

If I absolutely had to make an upgrade in that area, I'd look at Andrews' upgrade to the late style chain drive designfound on 06 Dynas & 07 TC's.
Either gear or hydraulic tensioner upgrade is highly recommended!!!!!!

To many recorded problems with the old spring tensioners, if they were not a problem, or rarely so, Harley would not have went to hydraulic.

As far as my gear drive noise with my Andrews TW-37G cams and S&S gear kit, I love the sound as it is beautifully mechanical.

If you want quiet, get a BMW or Gold Wing,

You put on a louder set of pipes, SE Stage 1 AC that inhales like a vacuum cleaner, then worry about gear drive noise??? [sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 06-06-2007, 09:11 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: mtgriz

Jones, I wouldn't do it. IMO, the hysteria around cam tensioners failing is way overcooked. Yea, I know it's happened (and everyone seems to know someone or heard about someoneto whom it's happened), but I contend it's relatively rare. When I did my 95" I said wtf, go ahead and put the gear drive 26's in there......later, only to find I had what sounded like a fuggindiesel powered sewing machine after it got hot.
My 26's get real noisy when the bike gets hot also. I chased the noise around by swapping lifters, adjusting pushrods this way and that, and adding a Baisley spring. Nothing helped. It drove me nuts at first, now I don't mind........I heard from a good many other users of the 26's the same kinds of problems. It makes no sense with a bolt in cam, but it happens with that particular grind for some reason.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:44 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh Man, I'm in the middle of my build - with 26G's. I hope I'm one of the less noisy ones. Don't tell me I might have to put the chains back in.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:02 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 2005UltraNC

Oh Man, I'm in the middle of my build - with 26G's. I hope I'm one of the less noisy ones. Don't tell me I might have to put the chains back in.
I'd rather live with a little noise than worry about the tensioners.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:57 AM
dstockton
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

ORIGINAL: 2005UltraNC

I'd rather live with a little noise than worry about the tensioners.
I understand that the gears may produce a little whine, but the additional noise is probably from the altered lift and duration of the cam. HD has to consider noise when designing a cam and cam drive (including the infamous chain and tensioner arrangement) because of EPA drive by testing. The older EVO's used gear drive and are considered bulletproof but they didn't have to worry as much about the noise back then.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:28 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

The EVOS I had with their OEM gear drive cam were never a problem soundwise.....nothing like my '01 FLHT which sounded like a Goldwing that needed a valve job when I had my 26g's in there. Andrews has some recommendations about measuring crank run out before attempting gear drive cams. I think their max is .003, but best to contact Andrews. Mine just happened to be a motor with >.003.With the Andrews kit that converts pre-07's to the new style hydraulictensioner with new oil pump I would think there will be a lot fewer gear drives going in.

Quick Reply: TC88 chain to gear drive