Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Hey Engine Builders!! Am I at the mercy...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007 | 09:26 PM
mtnlvr
|
Road Warrior
Default Hey Engine Builders!! Am I at the mercy...

I'm picking up my EVO top end parts from an indy shop tomorrow. I really don't know the history of this guys work and we had a little disagreement about me buying the pistons and him doing the boring out to pistons he didn't obtain homself. Anyway, he agreed to do the job but said that he wouldn't warranty the cylinder work because he didn't know where the pistons came from or if they had been dropped, etc. That's totally understandable, but this wasn't made clear up front. As a customer, am I at the mercy of the machinist?

Anyway, he bored the cylinders for my +.010" HD flat-top pistons and shaved .060" off the heads along with a 5 angle valve job and a light porting / blending job.

Seems how he won't warranty the cylinder work, how can I be assured that the cylinders are what they're supposed to be before I rebuild the motor?

And are there any other things I should do before rebuilding my motor besides ensuring proper valve to piston clearance? Maybe check the cc's of the combustion chambers? Or see how long the chambers will hold water?

I'm hoping that the shop will provide inspection information but I'm not sure if that's standard practice or not.

Old 05-30-2007 | 09:25 AM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Default RE: Hey Engine Builders!! Am I at the mercy...

I have had many problems in my lifetime, most of which never happened.

Old 05-30-2007 | 11:29 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

Very Good.....

Old 05-30-2007 | 12:35 PM
mtnlvr
|
Road Warrior

OK....that didn't help....either post.

I respect that as a machinist that you need some protection against the customer mis-handle components, mis-assembling components, mis-using or operating components or a build. But as a customer, I'd just like to feel all warm and fuzzy about my engine when I'm 1000 miles from home.

Kingofcubes, are you saying that I should just evaluate the things that I can easily check and trust that everything else was machined as it should be?

Old 05-30-2007 | 02:19 PM
fxstcguy98
Road Master

He bored the cylinders without having the pistons? My machinist wouldn't touch my cylinder until he had the piston in his hand. Ask the guy that's doing the work what kind of clearance tolerences you need for the piston and a range for the ring gap.

Old 05-30-2007 | 02:49 PM
mtnlvr
|
Road Warrior

He bored the cylinders without having the pistons?
No, he had the pistons. I provided them at the same time that I gave him the cylinders.

[qupte]Ask the guy that's doing the work what kind of clearance tolerences you need for the piston and a range for the ring gap.
[/quote]
The ring gap is a question I have. The manual states that the range that it gives is for stock rings only. Does that mean stock size or is it good for a +.010" or .030" setup?

Old 05-30-2007 | 03:22 PM
Stkman
Advanced

Did you have the pistons, rods and fly wheels balanced together? I think the guy didn't get his money from the sale of the pistons so he doesn't want to warrenty the job which is understandable.

Old 05-30-2007 | 04:10 PM
fxstcguy98
Road Master

The ring gap is a question I have. The manual states that the range that it gives is for stock rings only. Does that mean stock size or is it good for a +.010" or .030" setup?
[/quote]

I don't know for sure, the cylinder I had bored was for my quad. There was literature that came with the pistons for the ring gap (wisco). If you can't get a straight answer from the machinest on the gap range, just use the same range for stock and you should be fine.
Sorry me no help

Old 05-30-2007 | 06:33 PM
mtnlvr
|
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Stkman

Did you have the pistons, rods and fly wheels balanced together? I think the guy didn't get his money from the sale of the pistons so he doesn't want to warrenty the job which is understandable.
I did not have anu balancing of the rods / flywheel / piston done. Isn't that something more commonly done in higher RPM engines?

Old 06-01-2007 | 02:19 PM
Kingofcubes
Road Master

As a cylinder manufacturer and engine builder I always check and document those clearances on a build because as the assembler I am responsible for those clearances, I am not responsible for parts I don'trecommend and I believe that this guy is saying- sell.

Quick Reply: Hey Engine Builders!! Am I at the mercy...