Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Rocker Box question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 08:05 AM
braggster
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker Box question

I just changed out my rocker boxes on a 2004 standard and now I have a question. I followed the book and no loaded the push rods like it said. Piston at top dead center and the pushrods were spinning by hand. After I finished installing the rocker assy. the push rods didnt spin. I havent tried starting the bike yet due to darkness (want to be able to see any oil leaks). Will there be a problem when I do start the bike or is this normal? I figured it should be ok since I didn't change any adjustment. Stock push rods I believe are not adjustable. Anyone experience this before?

Old 05-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Sleeps In Trees
Road Master
Default RE: Rocker Box question

Piston should be at TDC on the compression stroke to unload the valve springs when you install (or adjust) p-rods for that cylinder. If you can't twist the p-rods w/your fingers after the lifters bleed down I wouldn't turn the motor over till I figure out why. Are you sure you got intake/exhaust p-rods in the right places? They're different lengths.

VicW.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:08 AM
braggster
4th Gear

I never removed the push rods. Just swapped out the rocker boxes.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:20 AM
Sleeps In Trees
Road Master

Sounds like the lifters hadn't bled down then. Still got one of the pistons at TDC? See if the p-rods will twist now, if so get other piston up & check those p-rods.

VicW.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:30 AM
braggster
4th Gear

What do you mean by lifters needing to bleed down? I can put airplanes back together but motorcycle maintenance is kinda foriegn to me. I have the bike back together right now. When it gets to be daytime here (Japan) I will check the push rods out.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:15 PM
Sleeps In Trees
Road Master

Hyd lifters need to bleed down when they're compressed (or many times when RE-compressed as in this case). If it were me I wouldn't crank it up until I was sure that the p-rods of both cyls will twist w/piston at TDC COMPRESSION stroke.

BTW, on compression stroke the pistons be will pushing air out thru the spark plug holes.

VicW.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:22 PM
markdt
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start it up! this is normal as 1 cylinder 's valves will be in a different position than the other ones. Unless you rotate the engine until all the valves return to TDC one ata a time you will always have tight pushrods. They are non adjustable so there are no worries .. Have fun and ride safe..Mark..

Old 05-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Sleeps In Trees
Road Master

rotate the engine until all the valves return to TDC one ata a time
...HUH??

VicW.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:09 AM
JLOCKHART29
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

If the cylinder you are working on IS at TDC then the push rods on THAT cylinder should spin after the lifters have had time to bleed down (2 to 10 min.) However, the opposit cylinder WILL NOT BE TDC COMPRESSION and these push rods will not rotate.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:23 AM
braggster
4th Gear

Well today I raised the back tire off the ground and put each cylinder to tdc. The push rods spun freely. I started the bike and now notice a little ticking sound. Don't remember if it was there before. Other posts I have read say a little ticking is normal. Who knows it may have been there before and I never noticed it.

Quick Reply: Rocker Box question