Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Front Quick disconnect fuel fitting leaks when off, no leak when pressurized

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 04:43 AM
beemer737
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Quick disconnect fuel fitting leaks when off, no leak when pressurized

I noticed a few drops of fuel coming from the front fuel quick disconnect fitting under the tank. Wiggled it, tried reseating and still drips. Turned ignition on to pressurize line ( I know, I know...) NO more leak!! Off for a ride we go, 175 miles, no leak. Get home, cools off two hours, now it's dripping 20 drops a minute, more wiggling, reset, still leaks, disconnect hose from fitting, NO leaks.

So is this a problem with the easy to replace o-ring, or the expensive to replace fitting??

Old 05-26-2007, 07:42 AM
DAVETHEBUILDER
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Front Quick disconnect fuel fitting leaks when off, no leak when pressurized

Ijust replaced the line on my 05 RG, dealer said its a real common thing and the line has been redesigned 3 or 4 times. Oh I almost forgot you cant replace just the O ring. I think it costs about $35.00

Old 05-26-2007, 02:09 PM
beemer737
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Front Quick disconnect fuel fitting leaks when off, no leak when pressurized

Dave, do you have two lines into the tank or one? I have two, I have noticed newer bikes only have one line into/out of the tank from under the left side.

The quick disconnect on my bike has a thin o-ring inside the female fitting on the tank (black) and a reall small silicone looking o-ring on the inside end of the male hose fitting. I picked up the o-ring for the female part, looks to be a pain to get the old out and new one in. I don't think the hose end can be replaced, probably need a new hose.

Who the heck designs bikes so a simple o-ring like this fails, yet cannot be replaced??

HD, you reading this, your quickly loosing repeat business....

Old 08-24-2010, 11:58 PM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Quick connect leak

Hi guys. Spent the whole day trying to fix my fuel leak at the (tank Lower left) quick connect. Sill leaking.

Thought I would have it fixed in an hour, max.

2006 Fatboy, It was just dripping a bit. I went to the Dealer, since the elbow shaped (male part) looked to have some cracks in the rubber. I thought it was an O ring in the elbow, but as you most likely know, it is not. The new part has the fuel line to the injector body (Quick connect there as well) all one part. $48!

Spent all day (5 hours)! getting the quick connect off of the injector body. Finally CUT IT OFF! I did this after looking in the manual, then Calling the service department.

BIG Problem, the (lower left tank) quick connect still leaks. I searched everywhere, just found this thread.

Do I need an new O ring on the female tank side? If so, why would the dealer not suggest this part? (when I was there, I told them it was leaking).

Can I get this O ring anywhere, or is it a Special Harley O ring?

Has anyone modded their tank to get rid of the quick connect? (I wish I would have gone this route now).

Thanks, Steve

Old 08-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Bump. Is this tank unit repairable? If so standard size O ring? Tips for install? Remove tank and invert?
Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
mxgod630 (08-01-2020)