Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Birds in Rineharts

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 07:44 PM
Roadie4
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Birds in Rineharts

A while ago I installed a set of Rinehart TDs and a PCIII. I had the tech guys install the map for my bike. After a few beers and a great cigar, I took my ride (and my bride) out for a cruise. Boy did they sound good. As the weeks went by, my Reinharts started developing a chirping sound. It sounds like there is a nest of baby robins living in there. I have taken the entire system off, installed new gaskets, re-tightened every bolt and it is still there. Last week I took out the baffles, checked them over and reinstalled. They seem to be seating tight. Today, I took the mufflers back off and reinstalled with exhaust cement. Still there. Can anyone help. My bride says it is very annoying riding in back. I would agree since I can't stand it either. If this doesn't get any better, I think I will put my SEII's back on and have a set of bird infested Rineharts for sell.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:58 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Birds in Rineharts

I know the sound your talking about and it's a complaint of many Rienhart owners. Most of the time the bird can be removed by expanding the baffle so it fits tighter in the muffler body. If you cemented that baby in there and it's still chirping I'd call Rienheart for a replacment set of mufflers.
Good luck

Old 09-25-2007, 11:34 AM
TBone29
Intermediate

Mine do the same thing especially at highway speeds. Anyone know what causes this and is there a simple fix. I love my Rineharts, but the chirping is a little annoying.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:14 PM
jskwarek
Road Master

Mine do the same thing, but I only notice it when they are hot and I am sitting still at a light or something. They don't do it all the time either.

Jeff

Old 09-26-2007, 03:19 PM
06strglide
Advanced

They will have a chirp sound on concrete pavement. Just sound waves bouncing off the pavement

Old 09-26-2007, 04:20 PM
PieceFrog
Cruiser

Same here, only on the concrete intersections or bridges. On asphalt the birds are mute.

Would drive me nuts if all the roads here were concrete...

Old 09-26-2007, 07:15 PM
04 rkcrr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont have rh but hadsamson ovals , put thunderheaders on. samson chirped bad but only on concrete roads and bridges. Thunderheaders do it to but not near as bad.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:46 PM
Tommy Meisel
Tourer

I'm using Rush 1.75's and they also chirp when on the right type of concrete surface. I did everything, tightened the baffles in the mufflers, used sealant on the connections, put on new clamps, tightened or adjusted all of the shields, tried 1.5 and 2.0 baffles, nothing changed the chirping on concrete. I finally decided to ignore it, but once in a while it still ticks me off. I'm not sure that others hear it, I think only the rider hears it and then only if you have a windshield. Other than this weird sound on some concrete, the Rush mufflers sound good.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:23 PM
Mr Breeze
Cruiser

Ha.. this is funny After I installed my Hooker 2 into 2 and heard this chirping and couldn't for the life of me figure out what it was...Actuall it would start at the same point on my way to work, everyday....So I thought it was somthing to do with the smog (Cali. version) or the computer kicking in....so i'd let it warm up longer at home and still the same point on the freeway it would start....Crazy I finally figured out after I went for a long ride and crossed a few overpasses that were concrete...Glad to know I'm not the only one...I just ignore it now...knowing its not my bike......

Old 09-28-2007, 01:38 PM
TBone29
Intermediate

Ok, so yesterday after I read about the concrete and such, I paid attention to the sounds on the way home and sure as everyone has mentioned. As soon as I hit concrete the chirping would surface and then over to asphault, nothing. It's definately reassuring to know that it's not the bike or my exhaust.