Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Cv 40 Flooding

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 01:59 PM
heritage03
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cv 40 Flooding

What would cause raw gas to come out of the carb through the filter.Also noticed the slide fluttering fast while idling.Is it supposed to be moving at all at idle.Thanks

Old 05-20-2007, 02:06 PM
Velocity1
Tourer
Default RE: Cv 40 Flooding

CV fluttering is somewhat normal based on overall tune as it relates to engine vacuum. Flooding is caused by basically 2 things....high float level and / or sticking needle fuel inlet valve. (Gas is most likely coming out of air bleeds located at the bottom of the carb venturi.) I removed my carb from the bike, installed new needle and reset float level IAW the HD shop manual and all is well. Good luck.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:23 PM
MikeyB
Tourer

Any fuel running out of the overflow line? If the float or the needle valve is stuck fuel should be running out of the overflow and not though the venturi.
Does it do it with the engine off or idling?

MikeyB

Old 05-20-2007, 02:43 PM
Velocity1
Tourer

MickeyB,
I assumed since "heritage03" said the fuel is running out of the AC, that if his bike is in fact an '03 CV40, his carb is new enough that it doesn't have an overflow hose.... Just trying to help. I can relate because my '02 Softail had the same problem and what I posted fixed mine.

V1

Old 05-20-2007, 03:03 PM
MikeyB
Tourer

Oh, didn't know that the newer CV carbs didn't have a overflow. Could be a serious problem since raw gasoline can run into the cylinders and dilute the oil while sitting on the jiffy stand.

MikeyB

Old 05-20-2007, 03:15 PM
heritage03
6th Gear

how do you get the shaft out of the float so i can chech the needle and seat.

Old 05-20-2007, 03:20 PM
MikeyB
Tourer

Not sure on the newer CVs but on mine I use a small drift to push the float shaft out. Should have very little tension on the shaft since the float bowl design holds the shaft in place.

MikeyB

Old 05-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Velocity1
Tourer

Typically I use a small drill bit. Make sure you tap the pin in and out inthe direction of the arrow or HD Manual instructions. Have someone hold the carb as you tap the drive pin to remove the float pivot pin. One slip with the hammer and you whack the pin post and break it off. They are fairly fragile. Note the position / location of the needle clip / spring during removal. Install needle assy. in reverse order of removal. Set float heightper HD Manual procedure. Looking at diagraming and carb upside down can be confusing as it relates to float level / function. This stepis critical to ensure float level is relatively close to spec.so as not to adversely affect performance, (fuel starvation),while not causing flooding either.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:49 PM
heritage03
6th Gear

Took carb apart including float,and needle and seat.Cannot find anything wrong.Went and got some autolite from advance to see if this would and did not.I have had this carb apart a dozen times trying different things and never had any problems before.Have never moved float level because it has always checked fine.I am lost.Thank for any help

Old 05-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Velocity1
Tourer

Just because a needle / seat assy. looks ok, doesn't mean it hasn't worn and isn't binding. I've seen swollen rubber tips, (from crappy gas and / or fuel additives),and under magnification, wornribs on the sidesof the needle, which cause it to **** and bind and not seal in the seat.

It doesn't take much for them to leak.

While I had the carb apart, I'd spend the money and replace the needle, especially if you've never changed it. My '02 has had 2 of them in it since I owned it.

Hope this is your simple souloution. I've changed 20-25 for friends. Solved the problem everytime, especially when the carb was behaving completely normally prior to the flooding condition.

Quick Reply: Cv 40 Flooding