Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

DOC1 Will race tuner help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 12:06 AM
JLOCKHART29
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default DOC1 Will race tuner help?

This post is kind of a day late and a doller short but didn't know any one had intensive knowledge with race tuner. Of corse this is open to any one comments just wanted Docs attention. I helped put togeather a friendsbuild that he had decided on. 95 Flat tops,TW26A cams, Stock heads ported and decked for 9.5:1 with .030 head gasket, Thunderheaderis basic build stock cv carb. Long story short he has detonation problems. Did compression check: 197 front 203 back. Played around with compression calc. and works out to closer to 10:1. My innitial "solution" was to cam it some more. He is all ready running the SE plug and play 5 degree retard at full throtal. Talked to the porter and he thought detonation could be taken care of with the Race tuner. Called the dealer in Shreveport LA. that has dyno and there tunner thanks it will take care of the problem also. The doller short part is that we are leaving out at 6:30 am to get the race tuner put on and tuned. While I'm there I got an hr. reserved on the dyno to see what my build is doing and if there are any major problems. Ido not know ANYTHING about this computer timming thing but they are going to let me watch them use it tomorrow so I am excited to learn something new!! In your oppinion will he race tuner "fix" the detonation problem and if so will it tune some of his proformance out? The bike runs very strong and he is extreamly happy with the way it runs just do not need the detonation!!!! Thanks.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:12 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: DOC1 Will race tuner help?

The SE Ignition Race Tuner is a good tool, as it allows you to build an ignition map from the ground up.....

There are better, more flexible units out there (TwinTech 88 is my first choice), as theirs is a bit more zero'd in, and easier to tune with their software (Professional opinion only).....

Others will chime in on their views, I am sure...

Old 05-19-2007, 12:32 AM
JLOCKHART29
Road Captain

In the very limited time I have been looking at these things I think I would go with the Datona DTT as if I understand it right you can plug it in to a computer and fine tune it like the Race Tuner and still be able to fiddle with it on the side of the road. Still old school as I don't trust all these new fangled computer controlled things! Thats why I special ordered my bike with carb cause even though it may not help I can still beat on it to make my self feel better if it acts like I'm not getting gas on the side of the road.lol With EFI all I can do is kick the tire!!(which will probably accomplish the same thing)

Old 05-19-2007, 07:38 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

The Ignition timing will help lots but does the tuner know how to use it. If he does you should see at least a 6 hp 4 tq gain from the tune along with a very smooth hp and tq lines. If he doesn't know how to tune the power will be less than what you have now but the detonation should begone. You first find the correct spark curve....after this is programed in you will subtract or add timing to that curve to optimize the power. Harley's like to have the cylinder pressure the highest at 17 degrees after top dead center, when the tuner adjust the ignition spark and curve correctly he will achive this and the power will go up. Watch how it is done...to do it right there will be many runs made. A setting will be made on the ign. then a series of runs made at that setting, another setting is made and the series of runs are made again to see if there is more power from thelast setting.....this is done till power drops and then go back to the best setting. The engine temp has to be controlled and the temp should be the same for every new setting. ie CONTROLLING THE TEMP IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP IN TUNING. I'd venture to say it will take 25 to 40 runs to dial in a ignition....if he only makes a few you are notusing a good tuner.
Good Luck

Oh by the way Ialso like the DDT over the 044 harley ign. The 03 and down ign from Harley isa great tool also

Old 05-19-2007, 09:06 AM
JLOCKHART29
Road Captain

Thanks for the replys! Will be leaving in 30 Min. The tuner is only scedualed him for 2 hr on dyno so doubt that many runs. Its 48 degrees and I got 100 miles to go. Hope it warms up quick!! Will update tonight and try to post our before and after runs.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:13 AM
JLOCKHART29
Road Captain

Took Oscar's bike and rode my bike to dealer Sat. and put them on the dyno. Oscars went 1st and "tuner" installed the SE Race tuner on his bike. Told us the dealership had only installed 1 before. After 2 hrs of fiddling around with the thing WE got it to load up. Kept coming up with : D/ and nothing else in blank. Finnaly typed in a some code words and it gave a list of canned maps. He did an innitial run b4 he hooked up tuner and then started running the canned maps untill he found one that retarded it the most (10 degrees) and still gave him the same torque/hp he had b4. Thats all he did with the tuner. I learned how to do all that at least. Next as you can see in the innitial dyno run he is real lean. 48/190 sportster needle. On last pull 48/220 Sportster needle. (Where is the spair gas can?) I now know what detonation is as you could hear it when he put the bike under load. Oscar came over and had me ride it today as he thought he could still hear it detonate The Race tuner tok care of alot of detonation but can still "make it" detonate by say 4th gear 30mph and hit the throtal which I realize is abuse but just trying to make it detonate. The only other place that I can hear it detonate under normal conditions is in 5th 50 mph and pin the throtal. Not bad as I had to lay down on tank with his windshield on to hear it. Sound like raking you the back of fingernail down 2 or 3 cylinder fins in an uneven motion. Very light. I told him since that is the only real world place it pings at to just down shift to 4th in that situation. Its not a stock bike any more. If you roll the throtal all is well just if you pin it all at once.What is yalls oppinion on these dyno runs and will he be ok as is or need to change/add something. He will probably add a 42 mikuni when I do my 45. The 1st run was b4 Race tuner and rejet last with race tuner and 220 jet.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1355/945CD7EF003048E7BAF910B67738D071.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1355/E02B797CFC2F428AAE7214CCAA55BF26.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-22-2007, 06:41 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know you didn't ask me, but 10:1 is too much for Andrews 26's. Heck, 9.5:1 is borderline and more than I'd use in that config. When it gets hot... it's a safe bet that itWILL ping.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:21 PM
JLOCKHART29
Road Captain

Reread the first 2 sentences of this thread PhilM. This thread is open to any one and I appreciate all comments! I agree completly. 10:1 is what I have but many thought the Tuner would take care of the detonation w/o changing cam. It did take care of alot of it and the wrench was not versed on what he was doing. The weather is heating up fast so we shall see if it remains realitive detonation free.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:08 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

10/4....

Hope it works out! Let us know how it works out as summer rolls in.

I suppose you might be about to "squeak by" a little more in a lighter bike, but it been my experience that it will be pushing the limit in a heavy Bagger.

Be interesting to see how it runs up & down 7 between Hot Springs & RussellVille.....

Old 05-22-2007, 11:48 PM
JLOCKHART29
Road Captain

Strange you mentioned 7 between H.Springs and Russelville as they are heading up that exact road Sat. on way to Eureka Springs. We will see. I got to work this week end. #$!&^%