Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

DTT/T-Max and LSR Blackholes - Mods required for Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007 | 11:35 PM
Dalton
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Default DTT/T-Max and LSR Blackholes - Mods required for Install

Finally, the RB Racing LSR Blackhole exhaust has arrived. Removed my Rinhart TD's boxed em up and shipped to a buyer. Started mocking up the pies, ensuring that they will fit and all clearances are good. Well,I was warned by another that the placement of the rear O2 bung will have the O2 sensor of the DTT hitting the top of the tranny, and that is exactly what happens. Stock sensor just clears. Front is fine.

I took a cut-off blade with my Roto-Zip and cut the bung off the rear pipe, carefully sanded down the weld, and took the pipe and a new "angled" bung obtained from D&D to the local welder. He Tig welded it on with very minimal damage to the chrome. The same clearance problem will occur with these pipes and T-Max sensors.

As a warning, the Rinharts front sensor location hits the Oil filter adapter if you have a HD oil cooler. You will need to remove the bung on the front pipe andreplace.

These manufacturers need to think ahead a bit and take into consideration the new systems hitting the market. I am sending the pic and info to Bob as RBR so he may start installing the angled bungs (hopefully this will save others greif down the road)

Tomorrow, it is time to install and tune.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24922/ECD08E8CFA9C4B1A9A114589A27B88EE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-19-2007 | 07:05 AM
skijones
Intermediate
Default RE: DTT/T-Max and LSR Blackholes - Mods required for Install

Keep us up to date on your progress, I'd like to know how you like the Blackhole exhaust, sound quality, build quality and such.
I love the look of your bike.

Don

Old 05-19-2007 | 11:09 AM
Storm 4 U
Banned

I'm curious as well on looks and performance give us some feedback when you are done

Old 05-19-2007 | 10:57 PM
Dalton
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Got the Blackholes installed, man what a PITA, but the results so far are worth it. Great sound and great looks, not overly quiet but far quieter than the Rineharts.

Tech notes: First off, no instructions come witht he pipes, Bob at RBR says installing them is an intelligence test - I passed. To install, you put the rear pipe in place into the collector. Bolt the front pipe into place at the head, and then slowly work the collector onto the front pipe, all while rotating the rear pipe into place. I was working by myself, so this was tough, but got it. There are no clamps where the pipes go together, a very tight slip fit, used Permatex High Temp form a gasket toseal the connections. Should allow dissasembly with out too much difficulty.

The support bracket bolts to the bottom mount where the OEM pipe bracket was. Once I installed the bracket, then the pipes, the front bolt of where the muffler bolts to the braket was hitting the frame. I tried shimming the bracket out with a couple of washers, but when tighteming the entire system down, it was in a "bind" with the bracket shimmed, so I removed the washers, and only used one bolt instead of two to attached to the bracket. The muffler is well supported at the rear so this should not be an issue.

You have to remember that these pipes are hand crafted upon order, and as such, I think every set will be just a tad different and require "tweaking" to fit.

Just as I buttoned it all up, it started to rain, so first ride and pics tomorrow.