Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Only 28 hp on the dyno, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007 | 12:01 AM
txultra
|
Intermediate
Default Only 28 hp on the dyno, HELP!

This has me totally stumped. Here is the history. A buddy has a 2004 Ultra with about 30,000 miles. One Saturday we changed the cam tension shoes, put in adjustable push rods, and installed an easy pull clutch kit. The bike also has a K&N filter, SE Exhaust, and a PC III . We have done all this work before and we are all experienced wrenches. After the work he started complaining about low power. I sent him to the dyno guy that did a great job on my bike. They could not finish the bike because it would only pull 28 HP with or without the PC III. Everyone convinced him that we had the timing off by a tooth. Well we tore it apart and checked, and it was dead on. I rode the bike and it felt good to me seat-of-the pants. So he took it back to the dyno and still would only pull 28 HP. Now I am wondering if there was something wrong with the bike all along and it just showed up on the dyno.

Any Ideas

Old 05-18-2007 | 01:03 AM
dchoran
Road Warrior
Default RE: Only 28 hp on the dyno, HELP!

Sure the dyno wasn't messed up - an Ultra with 28 HP would run like a slug on wheels.

Old 05-18-2007 | 01:04 AM
the_icemAN
Road Master

all I know... is I would be CRYING if I only pulled 28hp. ..... sumfin JACKED that is for sure. One thing that is 'problematic' with the TC88s is the CAM tensioners. There are several threads about this and you might want to look at that, although can't image it would bring the HP down to 28. Most of the time if they go bad you end up lockin up the bike.

To me that would seem as if only 1 cylinder is firing. check wires and plugs?

Exhaust smell rich from unburned fuel (like one cylinder is mis-firing)?

Hard to diagnose.... if it is carbed ... check the out the foat etc on the carb. ... so many things to look at.

Old 05-18-2007 | 01:35 AM
BVBOB
Road Captain

Experienced wrench or not, everyone can make mistakes occasionally, I am betting the front camshaft is out of time, does the exhaust have a different note than before, perhaps a bit louder, the other possibiblity is poor oil pump alignment causing sumping, seems though that with only 28 HP it wouldnt move out of its own way, also have you checked pushrod adjustment?

Old 05-18-2007 | 02:16 AM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior

I rode the bike and it felt good to me seat-of-the pants.

What are you used to riding? A Segway?

If it felt OK...it has way more than 28 ponies. Take it to another shop.

Old 05-18-2007 | 03:17 AM
the_icemAN
Road Master

good point mtnlvr. Sumfin ain't right if the bike 'feels' OK... but only 28hp ..... I think those lil RAZR-POCKET-BIKES with the batteries have more than 28hp... LOL... JK

Old 05-18-2007 | 05:37 AM
shepo
Advanced

Hi,

I would do a compression test and sparkplug read. This should determine the basic health of the engine.

shep.

Old 05-18-2007 | 09:55 AM
txultra
|
Intermediate

So far we have checked everything you all have suggested. That is what is so strange, the bike does not seem to run that bad. This is not my bike, so I can't tell if it is running any different or sounds different. Both plugs look good. The mileage is a little low at 32-35 around town. This guy is getting all kinds of advice, like put the stock pipes back on. Oil pump alignment and cam timing have been double-checked.

Still confused

Old 05-18-2007 | 10:10 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

When you had the oil pump out did you change the 'O' ring in the crank case scavaging port? If not you probably have a broblem with wetsumping. Run the bike for a couple of miles and drain the crank case with the bike straight up....you should not have over 3 to 4 oz of oil. If you do the flywheels are running in oil and that paddle wheel for the CKP will rob you of mega power. The fix is oil pump 'o' ring and alignment. Oh make sure there isn't any scars on the pump body or the gyros...if there arereplace the pump.

Good Luck

Old 05-18-2007 | 12:34 PM
txultra
|
Intermediate

Doc 1, when you say drain the crankcase with the bike straight up, are you talking about the oil drain plug? This is an Electra Glide and that will drain almost all the oil. Sorry if I just misread your post. Thanks

Quick Reply: Only 28 hp on the dyno, HELP!