Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Only 28 hp on the dyno, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007 | 12:35 PM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Default RE: Only 28 hp on the dyno, HELP!

I agree look for sumping. I just pulled apart a 06 that had the cam plate o-ring in the bottom of the cam chest!!! This was never apart before this. But 28hp seems so low that I would think the bike would not get out of it's own way.

Old 05-18-2007 | 01:17 PM
txultra
|
Intermediate

The more I read, sumping sure sounds like a possibility. My question is how do you check for this on an Electra Glide? Do you have to pull the cam cover?

Old 05-18-2007 | 01:44 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

Looking at the cam cover itself, reach or look, under the motor left hand side of cam cover on the bottom of the crank case you will find a allen set screw...this drains the crank case only. If your in the trany area your back too far.

Old 05-18-2007 | 01:55 PM
txultra
|
Intermediate

thanks, I'll have him check it.

Old 05-18-2007 | 02:02 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: HDWRENCH

I agree look for sumping. I just pulled apart a 06 that had the cam plate o-ring in the bottom of the cam chest!!! This was never apart before this. But 28hp seems so low that I would think the bike would not get out of it's own way.
Yes Wrench....I agree but my guess is thedyno operator has some issues!!

Old 05-18-2007 | 02:31 PM
HDWRENCH
Road Master

When you pull the case drain plug you should have less than 8 oz of oil, I have read specs that claim 11 is ok but from our testing we have found that over 8 oz and you have a sumping issue. Get your self a measuring cup, dont let the wife see this but they wrok great and are handy. Drain it into the cup and see what you have in the lower case.

Old 05-18-2007 | 03:29 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: HDWRENCH

When you pull the case drain plug you should have less than 8 oz of oil, I have read specs that claim 11 is ok but from our testing we have found that over 8 oz and you have a sumping issue. Get your self a measuring cup, dont let the wife see this but they wrok great and are handy. Drain it into the cup and see what you have in the lower case.
I normally see around 4 oz in the bikes I tested... I agree with Wrench but I'll go one step further, if you have 6 oz it will pull power from your build. To only have 28 hp on the dyno I'd say you had the crank case at least half full but that much oil it would be puking out the breathers.

Old 05-18-2007 | 10:23 PM
txultra
|
Intermediate

You guys were right, my buddy checked his bike and had 20 ounces in the crankcase. I guess we will put in another set of o rings and try not to pinch them this time.

Thanks for the help!

Old 05-18-2007 | 10:42 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

Ahhhhh...just lucky!!!

Make sure there are no scars in the oil pump body where the gyros mate up to it....if there are then the pump needs to be replaced or it will continue letting oil build up.

Old 05-20-2007 | 12:06 AM
txultra
|
Intermediate

Hey Doc, we changed out the o ring again and what a difference. My buddy says the bike runs like it used to and he can't wait to get back to the Dyno. You would not believe all the experts we talked to at the shops around here that told him to do everything from put the stock pipes back on and dump some injector cleaner in the tank, or that we had the timing 180 out. Thanks for the quick diagnosis. You to DHwrench

Quick Reply: Only 28 hp on the dyno, HELP!