Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Engine detonation and just runs like crap

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 05:13 PM
ThunderRabbit
Club Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine detonation and just runs like crap

Hi All,

Sorry for the odd title but no other way to describe what's going on. My 2010 Limited (FLHTK) ran beautifully when I bought it in the fall of 2014 with about 35,000 miles on it. In late spring of 2015 I had a full Stage 1 done with Vance & Hines dual slashed slip on mufflers, screaming eagle air cleaner, de-catted and the screaming eagle street tuner installed.

Recently the bike has started to jump around like a dog crapping peach seeds, heavy detonation, tries to stall, lousy throttle response when attempting to keep it running and the bike shakes mercilessly when in stop and go traffic. Of course I can imagine it is related to heat. Lately the temperature has been in the 60's - 80's and it "never" ran like this in the heat of the summer last year. This is in Florida. I have also been told it is the heat management system kicking in. BS. The worst it "ever" ran in stop and go traffic on 95 plus days in the summer wasn't anywhere near what I am experiencing now.

I have been told that I should expect to feel about 80% of the volume of air coming from the right muffler and the temperature of that air will be significantly hotter than the left. That pretty much describes what I'm noticing when I put my hand over the mufflers. Can anyone tell me if this is truly normal and expected?

If I cover the end of the right muffler shouldn't I feel a huge increase in volume and temperature coming from the left muffler?

I feel my issues are exhaust related so I posted to this forum.

Any advice, assistance or insight will really appreciated.

Thanks.

Lee

Old 03-20-2016, 05:32 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 284 Likes on 251 Posts

You may be experiencing 'cross talk' from the O2 sensors in your decatted head pipe...

Old 03-20-2016, 06:05 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 670 Posts

If they left the tube inside the exhaust that prevents cross talk he's probably ok. The potential for cross talk is worse with the cat installed.

I am concerned about the street tuner as it doesn't change the majority of the map.

I would be curious if there have been any changes since the install and if the pipe was actually cut in half to remove the cat. If not they don't realize they are drilling out half the cat.

The other thing that happens is people reverse the O2 sensors. That's more what I suspect. I would verify that the front and rear sensors are positioned in the correct holes in the pipe and connected to the correct harness connector.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:23 PM
ThunderRabbit
Club Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
If they left the tube inside the exhaust that prevents cross talk he's probably ok. The potential for cross talk is worse with the cat installed.

I am concerned about the street tuner as it doesn't change the majority of the map.

I would be curious if there have been any changes since the install and if the pipe was actually cut in half to remove the cat. If not they don't realize they are drilling out half the cat.

The other thing that happens is people reverse the O2 sensors. That's more what I suspect. I would verify that the front and rear sensors are positioned in the correct holes in the pipe and connected to the correct harness connector.
Thanks for the information guys. Short of cutting the cat open how would I know if the tube is missing or not?

Is there a way to identify the two cat sensor leads? Which one goes where?

Thanks a bunch!!

Old 03-20-2016, 06:33 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 670 Posts

I believe the black connector goes to the sensor in the rear cylinder pipe.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:25 PM
torchmaster
Road Warrior
Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

Short of cutting the cat open how would I know if the tube is missing or not?
Remove the right side muffler and shine a light into the pipe. If should be on the left side of the chamber. If you have aftermarket slip on's you may be able to see it with out removing the muffler.
I doubt cross talk would cause detonation, I would look at the tune or mixed sensors.