Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Major Problems after satge 1 with cams

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 11:15 PM
tonygret
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Problems after satge 1 with cams

I had a highly praised independent do a stage one, cams, pipes and power commander less than a year ago. Two weeks after I picked up the bike I complained of a burned oil smell, top end noise and what seemed to be ignition pinging. I also had trouble starting the thing when it was hot. They assured me everything was OK after I left it with them for another week.

Yesterday I had the bike in the HD dealer for 2 recalls and it's 5K service. They told me the bike was low on oil, the oil pressure was all over the pace and the front spark plug hole was stripped out. They also listed 8 different oil leaks but nothing ever hit the floor of my white tiled garrage. Of course they also mentioned my warranty was void.

By the time I got it back to the guy who did the work, the oil pressure was almost zero at idle but normal while driving. The oil they took out was thick as molasses and black.

The bike is a 2006 Ultra Classic with 4200 miles and it has had 4 oil changes with synthetic oil.

Does anyone have any insight or suggestions on what went wrong and how I should handle this?

Old 05-10-2007, 11:26 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Major Problems after satge 1 with cams

That's a bummer Tony!

You did not mention bigbore, so he did not pull the cylinders / pistons / etc...???... Is it still an 88"er?

CyberWrenching is nothing but guessing, but I would first suspect the the oil pump was not properly aligned when it was re-assembled from the cam install. Did you experience oil blowing / dripping out ofthe air cleaner?

You need to get someone you trust to look in the cam chest, check it out, and put it back together properly.

Don't worry.... it'll be OK!

Old 05-14-2007, 03:49 PM
tonygret
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Major Problems after satge 1 with cams

The smell of oil near the air cleaner is exactly what I was complaining about since the day i picked up the bike. I brought it back twice for that and they assured me everything was OK. By the way, I did have pistons, heads, valves and cams done. I full 96 inch kit with cams, pipes and powerr commander. . I think you hit it right on the head. I'll let you know what they find.