Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Oil leaking from intake and rocker cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 12:38 PM
AggieWildcat
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leaking from intake and rocker cover

I have what, from searching this website, appears to be a pretty common problem with HD motors. I have a 1999 XL Sportster 1200 Custom with almost 17,000 miles on it that I recently took off the hands of my father. The bike has a stock air cleaner, straight pipes, a re-jetted carb, and has always been filled with dino oil. The bike has not been ridden much and was sitting for about 6 months right before I got it. When I got it, I changed the oil (dino) and installed new sparkplugs.

I’ve put over 1,000 miles on it since acquiring it and have discovered that cruising at highway speeds (70 mph) for extended period causes oil to shoot out the air cleaner and ends up on the side of the engine and on my pant leg. I also noticed that it has started leaking oil from between the lower rocker cover and the top of the head of the front cylinder. Neither leaks are enough oil to make a drastic difference in the amount of oil in the tank but it’s certainly enough to make a mess. My oil level is just above the minimum mark on the dipstick so I haven’t overfilled the oil tank.

After browsing here, reading the factory service manual, and talking to one of the mechanics at the local HD shop I’ve decided to replace all the gaskets in both rocker covers as well as the umbrella valves. Obviously something is causing the oil system to build up too much pressure so I’m also going to check the oil vent system for any obstructions. From looking in the service manual (and reading on here) it looks like the oil drain hole in the rocker cover is pretty small so I’m guessing there may be something blocking it. I plan on using HD gaskets for the repair.

I should note that the bike had a similar repair done about three years ago because oil was shooting out the air cleaner.

I’ve turned a wrench a couple times on cars before but never on a motorcycle. Looking at the job it looks to be time consuming but certainly doable.

I was hoping folks who have performed similar work would chime in and offer any tips of things to expect/look for/etc or other words of wisdom.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:19 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts
Default RE: Oil leaking from intake and rocker cover