Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

pipes and o2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 04:51 PM
BIG6Y
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pipes and o2 sensors

alright here itgoes. no bs. i tried searching already no definate answer.
i have a '07 Fat Boy i want to put V&H big shot shortys ( no o2 ports )they came off an '05 model, they are like brand new. i've read on here that it WILL work. ok so far. can i still use a SERT or similar product? how will not having the sensors hooked up affect the bike? i know the PC 111 has the eliminators, but looks like there have been a lot of problems.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: pipes and o2 sensors

Not with a SERT..... Prolly not with a Fuel Pak, not sure though......

Believe me, you DO NOT want to take the o2's out of the EFI equation.....

You will throw a CEL all the time, as the ECM will be looking for the signal....

Old 05-08-2007, 10:25 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THe CEL will come on after a minute at 50 kpa - this would be a road speed. The CEL will not pop if you simply disconnect them and idle it. Using O2 eliminators defeats the great value of the O2 feedback system - I would greatly advise against it.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Biggy you can use the V&H pipes with no problem. I do agree with the suggestion of not getting rid of the O2 sensor, they help in fuel dilivery. With the 07 line we have a Adpative Fuel Values which lets the ECM learn in the 30 to 70 kpa area while your cruising...it actually changes the VE to get the requested fuel from the Fuel table.
You can buy the bung adapters and install them on your new pipes then the O2 can be used....if you install the Bungs make sure you get thm in a good location so they won't fill up with junk from the engine exhaust, look at the factory location for a template.

If you don't run the O2 sensor the bike will still perform fine....you will be running off the VE settings totally for the AFR. You will and must go into theFuel table and change all the AFR that is set at 14.6 to 14.4 to 13.8 depending on your compression and build.The 14.6 is the switch that turns on the sensors...ie. if the ECM doesn't see 14.6 in the Fuel Table the sensors aren't working anyway, the ECM is not looking for thevoltage reading (bias voltage) the O2 puts out.Some people see this 14.6 and say thats way too lean so they change it to another setting which in turn shuts off the O2 sensors with out knowing it and the bike still runs, so there you have it. Bottom line is, it's MUCH betterto runthe O2 sensors because of the job they perform, but it's not going to hurt not to run them.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:45 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doc, you are incorrect. If you set the AF to anything other than 14.6, the O2's will be ignored, but the ECM will continue to look for them. It will then throw a code because it cannot see them - it looks to see that they are alive and will use 50 kpa for a inute as a trigger. You would need to flash the bike with an open loop map to eliminate the O2's and not throw a code if using the EFI Tuner.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't remember saying anything about a code....I said he can run the pipes which was his question. Powercommanders through codes sometimes too but it doesn't effect the ridibility of the bike. When you tune the SERT the Fuel table is set at 13.2 in every grid and it doesn't through a code. It will through a code if the Adaptive fuel value is way off (new for 07 year only), or the integrator is out of its parameters

Old 05-10-2007, 05:12 PM
BIG6Y
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys for your input. looks like since i've already got these pipes i may just get an exhaust shop to weld the bungs in. just wanted to keep the area clean looking, since i've got this set on hand. if i were buying new pipes it wouldnt be a big deal. also dont most tuners sort of bypass/ ignorethe o2 sensors beyond a certain RPM or something? i realize they are there for epa emissions and such, but are they really necessary?

Old 05-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: BIG6Y

thanks guys for your input. looks like since i've already got these pipes i may just get an exhaust shop to weld the bungs in. just wanted to keep the area clean looking, since i've got this set on hand. if i were buying new pipes it wouldnt be a big deal. also dont most tuners sort of bypass/ ignorethe o2 sensors beyond a certain RPM or something? i realize they are there for epa emissions and such, but are they really necessary?
The O2 can be used up to 85kpa in some SERT maps and again the O2 sensors do a great job to get any inperfections out of thefuel delivery. Having said that you are correct in saying the O2 sensors are not used all the time, theECM has a protective system built in thatwill deliver 12.5 AFR if you snap the throttle openunder a load no mater what rpm your at or what is programed in the Fuel Table. When you are not in the cruise area your running on the programed VE tablesand Programed Fuel Table,not theO2 sensors.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:51 AM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: One_Screamin_Eagle

Doc, you are incorrect. If you set the AF to anything other than 14.6, the O2's will be ignored, but the ECM will continue to look for them. It will then throw a code because it cannot see them - it looks to see that they are alive and will use 50 kpa for a inute as a trigger. You would need to flash the bike with an open loop map to eliminate the O2's and not throw a code if using the EFI Tuner.
You are absolutely correct that the ecm will throw a cel code if the 02 sensors are not installed, no matter what the afr map is set at,but it has been my experience that the 07 ecm's will not accept an open loop map, I would be interested to hear if you have actually done this and what map you used. Sorry to get off topic here.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:19 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: BVBOB

ORIGINAL: One_Screamin_Eagle

You are absolutely correct that the ecm will throw a cel code if the 02 sensors are not installed, no matter what the afr map is set at,but it has been my experience that the 07 ecm's will not accept an open loop map, I would be interested to hear if you have actually done this and what map you used. Sorry to get off topic here.
what is the code? I never saw one and I have the fuel values set to 13.2 for hours while syn the ve tables

Quick Reply: pipes and o2 sensors