Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

V&H Dual "performance"

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 10:22 AM
mister_hudson
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post V&H Dual "performance"

As soon as I got my Deluxe home from the dealership I was online trying to find the "right" set of pipes. After dozens of sound bites and recommendations from local riders I went with the Vance & Hines True Duals (without fishtails)...

Initially I loved them and still would recommend them - under certain conditions... The dual setup on the Deluxe cannot be beat for looks and the sound of these V&H open pipes get the blood flowing - if you catch my drift...

So now I have a small dilemma:

After a winter upgrade of the SE Stage III Performance upgrade the dyno numbers were less than anticipated and the beautiful pipes are to blame... Obviously a 2-1 system is hand's down the best way to go for raw power but I'm not looking for a track bike - just a solid highway cruiser with some big hairy *****!

1) So if I were to add the [shudders] quiet baffles - would it create enough back pressure to bring up the dyno numbers to something Stage III worthy and would I be able to live with the "quiet" sound?
2) If baffles are added should I reinvest in another go on the dyno?
3) Are there better dual exhaust setups that I should consider that would offer more "performance"?
4) Am I just asking too much for a clean symmetrical dual setup that would produce #'s in the low 100's?

All opinions are appreciated in advance!

Old 05-01-2015, 10:32 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts

V&H Power Duals head pipes....
I run true Duals on my '03 and power Duals on my '13. The Power Duals will generate the most torque. That said the potato potato sound is somewhat merged. At 1st it was radically different but I have grown to appreciate it.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:55 AM
mister_hudson
Advanced

Originally Posted by Scrmnvtwins
V&H Power Duals head pipes....
I run true Duals on my '03 and power Duals on my '13. The Power Duals will generate the most torque. That said the potato potato sound is somewhat merged. At 1st it was radically different but I have grown to appreciate it.
I've hear those on a buddy's SG and they sounded pretty good - especially when given a little extra throttle! Sadly not an option for my Softail...

Old 05-09-2015, 08:32 AM
swifty
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 57 Posts

The true duals come with standard baffles, I don't think the quiet baffles will make any difference... You have a stage 3 on you bike and your not happy with your numbers???? If you don't mind me asking what exactly was done to your bike????swifty

Old 05-10-2015, 03:29 AM
mister_hudson
Advanced

Originally Posted by swifty
The true duals come with standard baffles, I don't think the quiet baffles will make any difference... You have a stage 3 on you bike and your not happy with your numbers???? If you don't mind me asking what exactly was done to your bike????swifty
The complete list:
  • Vance & Hines True Dual Exhaust
  • SE Chisel Extreme Billet Air Cleaner
  • SE Pro Race Tuner
  • SE Pro Stage III Kit:
    - High-compression 10.5:1 pistons
    - SE-259E cams
    - Perfect Fit push rods
    - High-performance diaphragm clutch spring
    - High-lift valve springs and gaskets
  • SE High-Performance Inner Cam Bearings
  • Premium Oil Cooler Kit for Softail

Dyno results;
Before: 69 HP & 78 torque
After: 82 HP & 96 torque

As per the SE Catalog: "When installed with your choice of high-flow air cleaner and free-flowing exhaust, this engine has the potential to produce 98 HP and 108 ft. lbs. of torque with the stock cylinder heads."

Old 05-10-2015, 09:31 PM
swifty
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm not a bike mech. But I know that a 2 into 1 pipe give the best low and mid range torque. And that straight pipes, aka drag pipes are just that, for wide open throttle. So with that being said the true duals will hurt your low rpm and mid range power. But I don't think it will hurt your final numbers.. But I could be wrong I'm just going by the things I read and learned over the years.
I would like to know if you like the way the bike runs now????? because chasing numbers is endless... enjoying your ride is priceless....
But if it bothers you, post this in one of the other sections of the forum or pm some of the guys that are into the motor builds. justs my 2cts hope it helps...swifty

Old 05-10-2015, 09:44 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

If your "dyno tune" was done at a Harley dealer, I would seek an independent tuner. Sounds like an awful lot was left in the shop.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:15 AM
mister_hudson
Advanced

Originally Posted by swifty
I'm not a bike mech. But I know that a 2 into 1 pipe give the best low and mid range torque. And that straight pipes, aka drag pipes are just that, for wide open throttle. So with that being said the true duals will hurt your low rpm and mid range power. But I don't think it will hurt your final numbers.. But I could be wrong I'm just going by the things I read and learned over the years.
I would like to know if you like the way the bike runs now????? because chasing numbers is endless... enjoying your ride is priceless....
But if it bothers you, post this in one of the other sections of the forum or pm some of the guys that are into the motor builds. justs my 2cts hope it helps...swifty
I will find out in a few weeks when I get stateside again. I know that I'll be happy just to behind the bars again yet I want to get all I can from this setup. If/when I go to Stage IV I'll invest into 2:1 exhaust...

Originally Posted by QC
If your "dyno tune" was done at a Harley dealer, I would seek an independent tuner. Sounds like an awful lot was left in the shop.
I've thought the same as well. Wondering if the dealership put in a "conservative" map to satisfy HD's warranty.