Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Considering a new Cam / Headwork

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 08:00 PM
Road King Kid
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Considering a new Cam / Headwork

I have a 2003 Road King that I recently put a 95" kit on my bike with flap top pistons. I am considering a new cam and possibly getting some headwork done. I dont know if I am going to do both at the same time, however, I would like to avoid buying another cam down the road if I plan to do the headwork later. Also, I am trying to determine if I am going to need to buy H/C pistons if I get a new cam and headwork.

I also have a couple of concerns that are important to me. Number one is reliability. I am not interested in building a motor that is going to end up being a headache. The other concern is pinging and other noises. I DO NOT like and can not tolerate wierd noises coming from the bike. They make me nervous and take away from my enjoyment. In other words, it is not worth it to me.

That being said, here are my current specs and questions.

2003 Road King
S/C Air Cleaner
Rinehart True Duals
95" with Flat top pistons
Stage one Download
DFO

What Cam should I buy if I do not plan any head work?
What Cam should I buy if i do plan to do head work?
Will I need to buy H/C pistons if I do either/both of these?
Will any of these changes affect the reliability of my motor?
Will any of these changes cause pinging or any other annoying noises?

Thanks for your input.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:51 PM
YankeeBob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Considering a new Cam / Headwork

ORIGINAL: Road King Kid

I have a 2003 Road King that I recently put a 95" kit on my bike with flap top pistons. I am considering a new cam and possibly getting some headwork done. I dont know if I am going to do both at the same time, however, I would like to avoid buying another cam down the road if I plan to do the headwork later. Also, I am trying to determine if I am going to need to buy H/C pistons if I get a new cam and headwork.

I also have a couple of concerns that are important to me. Number one is reliability. I am not interested in building a motor that is going to end up being a headache. The other concern is pinging and other noises. I DO NOT like and can not tolerate wierd noises coming from the bike. They make me nervous and take away from my enjoyment. In other words, it is not worth it to me.

That being said, here are my current specs and questions.

2003 Road King
S/C Air Cleaner
Rinehart True Duals
95" with Flat top pistons
Stage one Download
DFO

What Cam should I buy if I do not plan any head work? Andrews TW26G
What Cam should I buy if i do plan to do head work? Andrews TW 26g
Will I need to buy H/C pistons if I do either/both of these? No
Will any of these changes affect the reliability of my motor? No
Will any of these changes cause pinging or any other annoying noises? Not if it is tuned properly!

Thanks for your input.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:07 AM
JLOCKHART29
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Being a Road King you have a pretty heavy bike. The build I have is a fun, reliabale one that produces good #'s and has been duplicated many,many times. That said if you ride solo most of the time it would be something to consider as it is a midrange to upper rpm band. Just got back from the mts. of N. Ark this weekend with wife and it ran great but it is on a FXST. The cams and heads have to be done at same time as stock heads really don't have enough compression for the cams. SE 211 can be sub for a chain drive. I just did a build for a friend who has a Heratage.Wind shield, full bags, wife ,ect and it has 95 flat tops, Andrews 26A chain as he had to much run out for gears, and heads ported by Bean. He loves it and has the power down lower in rpm band. Ran it with cam and B.B for a while and did ok but as with all Twin Cams you have to do some kind of head work to make them really perform.When he ported heads it was a whole differant animal.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Rez
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Cam should I buy if I do not plan any head work? Andrews TW-21
What Cam should I buy if i do plan to do head work? Crane HTC-300-2
Will I need to buy H/C pistons if I do either/both of these? NO
Will any of these changes affect the reliability of my motor? NO
Will any of these changes cause pinging or any other annoying noises? As YankeeBob said you musttune itfor your modificaitons.

Some people complain about gear drive whine. others say it is quieter. Definitely more reliable.
The Andrews 26 is noisier than the Crane 300, even though the Crane has more lift.
I hear Sykes has a gear drive version of the Crane 300.