Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Want to modify Vance and Hines 2 into 1 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 08:15 PM
extremeshot
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Want to modify Vance and Hines 2 into 1 exhaust

Below is a picture of my bike.

As you see, I have a 2 into 1 Vance and Hines exhaust. I hate the sound of my bike. It doesn't have that throaty sound that most Harleys are known for.

I listened to several Harleys with different pipe configurations at the local stealership and it's obvious my problem is due to the pipes that I have. I don't have any money to spend on new pipes so I'm going to try to work with what I have.

Tonight I removed the baffle in the end and I noticed a difference but the sound its still not right. However, I drove it around the block and discovered that removing the baffle actually solved another problem I had with backfiring when letting off the gas. Yeah!

The end pipe will disconnect a few inches before it splits into 2 pipes...so I'm thinking about replacing the end pipe with something shorter. Or taking the end pipe and cutting it down to shorten it.

I've done some google image searches and haven't found what I'm looking for yet. It would be cool to just buy a new tip. Anyone got any advice?

D

Attached Thumbnails Want to modify Vance and Hines 2 into 1 exhaust-10887572_10202676475307219_289721074857906392_o.jpg  
Old 03-12-2015, 08:36 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by extremeshot
Below is a picture of my bike.

As you see, I have a 2 into 1 Vance and Hines exhaust. I hate the sound of my bike. It doesn't have that throaty sound that most Harleys are known for.

I listened to several Harleys with different pipe configurations at the local stealership and it's obvious my problem is due to the pipes that I have. I don't have any money to spend on new pipes so I'm going to try to work with what I have.

Tonight I removed the baffle in the end and I noticed a difference but the sound its still not right. However, I drove it around the block and discovered that removing the baffle actually solved another problem I had with backfiring when letting off the gas. Yeah!

The end pipe will disconnect a few inches before it splits into 2 pipes...so I'm thinking about replacing the end pipe with something shorter. Or taking the end pipe and cutting it down to shorten it.

I've done some google image searches and haven't found what I'm looking for yet. It would be cool to just buy a new tip. Anyone got any advice?

D
Its pretty common to cut off drag pipes and add slip ons I would think you could do the Same thing, either slip one or straight pipes.
That or sell the ones you have and buy new.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:06 PM
Apendejo
Road Warrior
Received 523 Likes on 296 Posts

Before you go hacking up a perfectly good Propipe I suggest trying the competition baffle made for that pipe, or remove the baffle altogether and try this. Supertrapp Propipe mod.

Attached Thumbnails Want to modify Vance and Hines 2 into 1 exhaust-propipe-mod.jpg  

Last edited by Apendejo; 03-12-2015 at 09:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Daniel Diez (05-07-2020)
Old 03-12-2015, 09:13 PM
Apendejo
Road Warrior

V&H competition baffle

Attached Thumbnails Want to modify Vance and Hines 2 into 1 exhaust-vance_hines_competition_baffle_for2_into1_hs_pro_pipe_detail.jpg  
Old 03-12-2015, 09:24 PM
extremeshot
Cruiser

After writing the message above, I went out to the garage and removed the end pipe. It disconnect about 2 inches before the pipes split into two pipes.

I ran it around the block several times. It sounds more throaty and it's definitely louder. I'm thinking a street sweeper type end pipe might finish it off well?

I saw the posts about the competition baffle. I'll have to do a google search to see if I can find a video. Seems to me that it wouldn't change much?

One poster above suggested I completely remove the baffle. Like I said in my first post, I did completely remove it. It sounded better but still wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Thx,
D

Old 03-12-2015, 09:52 PM
Apendejo
Road Warrior

Sounds like you have the quiet baffle in your Propipe. Ditch that thing.
The standard baffle and competition baffle are about 10" long. Standard baffle is capped at the end towards the header, the comp is open.
Your bike will be loud with the standard baffle, and hella loud with the comp baffle.
You definitely need a baffle installed as this produces the back pressure needed for proper exhaust scavenging.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:05 AM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Are you comparing your 2into1 exhaust vs duals for sound? I have a Bassani 2 into 1 and I love the sound of it. But think duals sound much better.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:04 AM
extremeshot
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Apendejo
Sounds like you have the quiet baffle in your Propipe. Ditch that thing.
The standard baffle and competition baffle are about 10" long. Standard baffle is capped at the end towards the header, the comp is open.
Your bike will be loud with the standard baffle, and hella loud with the comp baffle.
You definitely need a baffle installed as this produces the back pressure needed for proper exhaust scavenging.
Thanks for the info. The baffle I have looks similar to the one in the picture below. Can you tell which one I have? Quiet or standard?

Im going to try to find some pictures of the other baffles you talk about to see what they look like. Maybe I can modify this baffle to make it more like the competition baffle?

D

Attached Thumbnails Want to modify Vance and Hines 2 into 1 exhaust-baffle.jpg  
Old 03-13-2015, 08:09 AM
extremeshot
Cruiser

Originally Posted by baloot-boy
Are you comparing your 2into1 exhaust vs duals for sound? I have a Bassani 2 into 1 and I love the sound of it. But think duals sound much better.
The stealership started several bikes for me so that I could compare. Some were duals..some were 2 into 1.

One of the bikes I looked at had a 2 into 1 setup, but the single pipe terminated maybe 12 inches after the intersection. And the single end pipe was slightly larger diameter. It also had a flange-like piece in the middle of it...which I assumed was some kind of piece to add back pressure.

D

Old 03-13-2015, 08:21 AM
extremeshot
Cruiser

Originally Posted by extremeshot
Thanks for the info. The baffle I have looks similar to the one in the picture below. Can you tell which one I have? Quiet or standard?

Im going to try to find some pictures of the other baffles you talk about to see what they look like. Maybe I can modify this baffle to make it more like the competition baffle?

D
According to the pictures at the JPCycle link below, It appears I have the Standard baffle. However, mine does not have the white insulation. The pipe was used so maybe the previous owner took the insulation out.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/441-020

Quick Reply: Want to modify Vance and Hines 2 into 1 exhaust