Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Smoking engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 03:21 PM
spittygood
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking engine

Ok, this will likely be long winded....

I have an '03 EFI Nightrain that I changed the oil on not last year but the year before (I was out of commission last year). After I change the oil, it puked a fair amount through the air cleaner (overfill), so I syphoned back some of the oil, but never had the time to get the battery back charged up and working. I think the oil is good now, and I had to change the battery cause it was dead. But now when I try to start it up it pops quite a bit and I see wisps of smoke coming from around the air cleaner cover area (I think from the air cleaner). The bike is popping but not turning over, smoking from the air cleaner,and I am concerned I may be doing damage.

Please help!Is this a problem or just old gas / oil burning off? I don't want to do any damageto thecylinders or seize the engine...

Also,the oil level is not registering on the dipstick, butI can see some in the tank. It was still puking oil from the air cleaner at this level, so I am not sure if I actually need to check it hot and it willreadright or if the oil level istoo low and the stuff that waspuking from the cleaner was leftover from the inital oil fill....

Old 04-21-2007, 05:46 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Smoking engine

Not sure...maybe the umbrella valve isn't functioning right? Anyone?

I'd drain out the old fuel and get some fresh stuff in.

Does it even fire?

Old 04-21-2007, 06:56 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

You aren't hurting it. Just start it up. On occaison, mine will kick back when I am starting it and smoke will come out the air cleaner.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:17 AM
ZD
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Very likely a combination of old fuel,spongy lifters and some of the oil having bled into the sump. If the fuel is 2 years old, it's probably varnish by now. I don't know much about Harley EFI, but bad fuel isnot a good thing for most FIsystems I've worked on. You may have some 'sticky' injectors that need to be removed and cleaned or replaced.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:34 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

yep...all correct...change the oil and pull the crankcase plug as well...put some new plugs in and let er rip...it'll smooth up once the lifters pump up...i would pull the injectors tho and at least wipe em off...or better yet, send em to MARRIN INJ for a rehash