EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Carb questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 12:38 PM
Pthom
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb questions

I recently purchased a 1990 Tour Glide with 27k miles. It is very stock.

It is running rich and has fouled the plugs. I can change the plugs, but would like to address why it is running rich. My first question is, do I need to adjust the mixture screw? It still has the plug covering it and it makes me wonder how it would be out of adjustment. Does it just need a good cleaning to get it back to where it needs to be?

I had it backfire through the carb and burned a hole in the air filter and melted some of the plastic back plate. This seems very dangerous to me. How common is this and is it related to the rich mixture? Couldn't this ignite the oil that makes its way into the air cleaner assembly?

Leads to my last question... When I removed the plastic air cleaner back plate I expected the two bolts holding the plate to the heads to be banjo bolts. They are not, they are solid. Doesn't this need to let the crankcase breath? The bolts looks stock. Anyone else have solid bolts?

Thanks!

Old 09-16-2014, 01:16 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Pthom
I recently purchased a 1990 Tour Glide with 27k miles. It is very stock.

It is running rich and has fouled the plugs. I can change the plugs, but would like to address why it is running rich. My first question is, do I need to adjust the mixture screw? It still has the plug covering it and it makes me wonder how it would be out of adjustment. Does it just need a good cleaning to get it back to where it needs to be?

I had it backfire through the carb and burned a hole in the air filter and melted some of the plastic back plate. This seems very dangerous to me. How common is this and is it related to the rich mixture? Couldn't this ignite the oil that makes its way into the air cleaner assembly?

Leads to my last question... When I removed the plastic air cleaner back plate I expected the two bolts holding the plate to the heads to be banjo bolts. They are not, they are solid. Doesn't this need to let the crankcase breath? The bolts looks stock. Anyone else have solid bolts?

Thanks!

What jets are in it? They may be too big.
Is it a CV carb?
On a '90 it should be a bottom breather so you shouldn't have any oil in air cleaner.
Also with a bottom breather the bolts going into the heads will be solid because it vents down below.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:17 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,912 Likes on 1,427 Posts

Your bike is what is referred to as a "bottom breather." The breather is at the bottom, towards the middle from the oil pump, as God intended it to be. Yes, the bolts are solid and not banjo because that's not the breather. Oh, and just to cover it for when you will eventually ask, yes, it is normal for oil to puke out the breather if you let the bike sit for several weeks to months.

Now, for your carb issue, first check for intake leaks. Next throw away that POS carb and put a S&S or a CV on there and you will solve the majority of your problems. Or if you insist on keeping the Keihin POS, rebuild it and you can get it to run poorly to fair (if you're really good.)

Old 09-16-2014, 01:55 PM
Pthom
Novice

Thank you for the quick replies! Glad to hear that someone didn't just plug up the breather holes!

How can I tell what carb I currently have? I believe it is a CV.

And a follow up question: when the plastic melted, there were little black chunks on the inside of the air filter. Should I be concerned that these particles could have gotten into the carb and the engine?

Thanks again.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:34 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,912 Likes on 1,427 Posts

Look down the carb throat. Is there a butterflly flap or a slide that goes up and down? Slide thingie is CV. If you have a CV on there now, it may just need a thorough going through and some tuning. I don't do CV's, but there's lots here who do. Sounds like you do need a new air cleaner. Maybe someone has a takeoff if your budget constrained, or there's lots of aftermarket options.

If the bike is running, I wouldn't worry about the bits of plastic. Do fix that, though.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:30 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,853 Likes on 3,019 Posts

that bike has not been used and has been sitting for years - intake seals and a new set of jets - post up what is in it and the guys will tell you if they are correct, 2 jets are what your looking for - you need to buy the factory PARTS and SERVICE books as the names of what the exact part is called will go a long way in helping you

Old 09-16-2014, 05:56 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,414 Likes on 5,014 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess

Now, for your carb issue, first check for intake leaks. Next throw away that POS carb and put a S&S or a CV on there and you will solve the majority of your problems. Or if you insist on keeping the Keihin POS, rebuild it and you can get it to run poorly to fair (if you're really good.)
Uh, Doc...

The bike already has a CV carb on it, the OP says the bike is very stock...

`90 was the first year for the CV carb (on the big twins).

It may be running rich because the carb is overflowing due to crud in the needle and seat.

Remove the carb and intake manifold, clean carb and reinstall manifold using new seals.

Why can`t I ever come across an almost new old bike like this.......

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 09-16-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:30 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,048 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
that bike has not been used and has been sitting for years - intake seals and a new set of jets - post up what is in it and the guys will tell you if they are correct, 2 jets are what your looking for - you need to buy the factory PARTS and SERVICE books as the names of what the exact part is called will go a long way in helping you
I agree! Take carb off, remove manifold, replace intake manifold seals (replace intake manifold bolts with 5/16"-18 x 3/4" twelve point flange head bolts) , remove the idle (slow) screw plug and clean that carb! Old school take apart, clean every hole, nook, crevice, jet, bleed, etc with carb cleaner. Don't use any stiff wire in any holes. If something looks plugged and carb cleaner don't clear it, let us know.

175 to 180 main jet and a 45 slow jet will get you in the ball park but when you take it apart (heed the warning about having a manual before you start), let us know what your stock jets are.

With that kind of spitting back/backfire in the carb, you may have issues with the soft rubber diaphragm or the plastic part on the vacuum piston (maybe melted).

Here is an example of the replacement bolts and you may be able to find them at a good local hardware store, just pay attention to the size of the flange:

https://www.denniskirk.com/diamond-e...prd/271383.sku

And here are a few related links to your carb and supplies:

http://www.cv-performance.com/instructions-guides/

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...v+carb+rebuild

Good luck! YD

Old 09-16-2014, 08:10 PM
Pthom
Novice

Thank you for all of the advice.

I have a Clymers manual for it already. Looks like I will be buying a rebuild kit for it and getting it apart.

It does have the slide in the opening. Behind the slide appears to be a butterfly. Is that right for a CV?

Old 09-16-2014, 08:36 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Pthom
Thank you for all of the advice.

I have a Clymers manual for it already. Looks like I will be buying a rebuild kit for it and getting it apart.

It does have the slide in the opening. Behind the slide appears to be a butterfly. Is that right for a CV?
Yup. And welcome to the bestest forum on the board! Keep the Clymers but get the FSM for sure. Carefully drill out the wax, mud or whatever is over the mixture screw, 7/16 drill bit about an inch into the cover.
Welcome aboard,
Tom

Quick Reply: Carb questions