POR 15 tank sealer

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 10:07 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts
Default POR 15 tank sealer

Of the people here who have used the por 15 tank sealer has it worked over the years or has it ever failed?

It is the best stuff I know of and I was wondering if it really works or if there is something better.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:49 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Of the people here who have used the por 15 tank sealer has it worked over the years or has it ever failed?

It is the best stuff I know of and I was wondering if it really works or if there is something better.
I haven't used POR 15, so I can't compare. I did use Caswell Tank Sealer, and it works great. Used it to line a fiberglass BSA tank about 5 years ago, and no problems since. Fiberglass dissolves with the new ethanol fuels.

Great Stuff, check it out:
http://www.caswellplating.com/restor...nk-sealer.html

Old 09-12-2014, 12:33 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by nhrider1
I haven't used POR 15, so I can't compare. I did use Caswell Tank Sealer, and it works great. Used it to line a fiberglass BSA tank about 5 years ago, and no problems since. Fiberglass dissolves with the new ethanol fuels.

Great Stuff, check it out:
http://www.caswellplating.com/restor...nk-sealer.html

Thank you for the reply but I am not impressed with Caswell.
I put it in the Taiwanese aftermarket tanks I have and 2 years later it is flaking out like you wouldn't believe.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Throttle_Jockey
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What capacity tanks do you have TX?

Old 09-12-2014, 03:27 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Throttle_Jockey
What capacity tanks do you have TX?

For now they are 5 gallon but in the fall I am gonna get some FLSTN tanks for it. I think they are 5.4 gallon.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:46 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,795 Likes on 893 Posts

POR paint is as tough as it gets, actually used the paint to seal a fuel tank that came out good, didn't know they make a tank sealer but the paint is tops. Don't get it on you because nothing takes it off except wear.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:25 PM
C.H.L.
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry

I used it on my 98 Heritage.... I KEPT getting trash in my carb and messing up my ride. You could see the trash/rush in my tanks. I finally bit the bullet and ordered the 3 step POR 15 sealing process.... it worked, no more problems.

A few things to watch out for.

1. if you get this stuff on your paint, it will mess it up!!!! I tried to be careful, but still got some on my paint. Mask off the entire outside of the tank. Maybe 2-3 layers of masking/painters tape.....

2. I had a fat bob or fat boy, some kind of fat tank :-) I think fat bob. It was a super wide, two-piece tank. Anyway, each tank, right and left, had tubes with elbows coming out of the bottom. It was a cross over tube, and another one that was the fuel line going to carb..... anyway, Those little tubes filled up and it hardened!! I had to cut them off so they no longer had 90 degree bends, and drill them out..... all in all it worked out ok, but If I had shoved a wire or something up those tubes while the last stage was drying or curing, it would have been better.....

Those are just my two suggestions.... The stuff works great though. I went from having rusty trashy tanks, to takes that looked like a newly sealed and painted garage floor :-) No more trash in the carb

Old 09-12-2014, 06:28 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by C.H.L.
I used it on my 98 Heritage.... I KEPT getting trash in my carb and messing up my ride. You could see the trash/rush in my tanks. I finally bit the bullet and ordered the 3 step POR 15 sealing process.... it worked, no more problems.

A few things to watch out for.

1. if you get this stuff on your paint, it will mess it up!!!! I tried to be careful, but still got some on my paint. Mask off the entire outside of the tank. Maybe 2-3 layers of masking/painters tape.....

2. I had a fat bob or fat boy, some kind of fat tank :-) I think fat bob. It was a super wide, two-piece tank. Anyway, each tank, right and left, had tubes with elbows coming out of the bottom. It was a cross over tube, and another one that was the fuel line going to carb..... anyway, Those little tubes filled up and it hardened!! I had to cut them off so they no longer had 90 degree bends, and drill them out..... all in all it worked out ok, but If I had shoved a wire or something up those tubes while the last stage was drying or curing, it would have been better.....

Those are just my two suggestions.... The stuff works great though. I went from having rusty trashy tanks, to takes that looked like a newly sealed and painted garage floor :-) No more trash in the carb

How long ago did you do this?
Has it held up over time?

Old 09-12-2014, 07:33 PM
C.H.L.
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Can't help ya there..... I did it 3 years ago, but traded the bike in 8 months after I did it. Sorry. I can tell ya it looked freshly done after 8 months..... But can't tell ya anything about the long hall.....

Old 09-12-2014, 07:47 PM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Used it on my '02 heritage about 4 years ago... No problems what so ever...

Quick Reply: POR 15 tank sealer