EVO All Evo Model Discussion

POR 15 tank sealer

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 08:34 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,864 Likes on 3,027 Posts

we used it for years and it always did a great job till the fuel changed now its come off it sheets iinside the all the tanks we did - what a mess

i have been trying others but wont know for sure if they work till spring

Old 09-12-2014, 08:54 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
we used it for years and it always did a great job till the fuel changed now its come off it sheets iinside the all the tanks we did - what a mess

i have been trying others but wont know for sure if they work till spring

Thanks for the info.
If you find something that works consistently please let me know.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:47 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

this is what I do if the tank has a hole in it I get a new tank. if its just rust and garbage in the tank just clean it. WD40 sells a product now that's the same stuff I use to clean tanks its water based and it wont hurt your paint after 24 hour soak the inside will look brand new
this is what I use

The following users liked this post:
scooper321 (11-06-2017)
Old 09-12-2014, 11:13 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by D_gyver
this is what I do if the tank has a hole in it I get a new tank. if its just rust and garbage in the tank just clean it. WD40 sells a product now that's the same stuff I use to clean tanks its water based and it wont hurt your paint after 24 hour soak the inside will look brand new
this is what I use
How To Remove Rust From A Motorcycle Gas Tank with Metal Rescueâ„¢ Rust Remover Bath - YouTube

That stuff sounds like the **** to use!!!!
Thanks for the tip!!!

Old 09-12-2014, 11:35 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default My Experience

I purchased all of the components including the solvent (a must). I read the directions and purchased a hair drier. I have used it on my FXR a while ago, maybe 4~5 years ago. I removed the surface rust using their rust remover. I used the solvent/wash, than let it dry. I poured in the paint (silver) using old shoes (just in case) that I use for jobs like this. Make sure the tank is dry by using a hair dryer so the paint will adhere properly. I have never had one bit of problems with any gas I ever put in it.

I used it in two tanks that day. Both bikes still have no problems. If you read the directions, do the recommended steps, do a quality job, and do not rush, you will have in my estimation, a job that will last a lifetime. I spent my time purchasing rubber stoppers and making some (filler cap) that you can not buy. I removed all fittings and used a wire to clean out the overflow vent when the paint was still soft. I rotated the tank repetitively (with the paint inside) until I was sure every part was coated. I used a hairdryer for hours after I removed all of the excess paint by waiting for it to (very) slowly exit the filler hole. This takes time and patience to do a proper job. It does what is is suppose to do. I used it only for a tank liner. If your tank has rust holes in it, I would purchase a new one but that is just me.

Oh, and the shoes. Some paint dripped out and got onto the toe where it is still there today, just the same color & sheen the day of this job. I think the paint will be there long after the shoes wear out.

Think the job out, take your time and pay attention to the prep work. Once done I never thought about it again.

Last edited by FastHarley; 09-12-2014 at 11:41 PM.