EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Occasional valve lifter noise - anoter EVO mystery?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 10:27 AM
jokenroll
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by machinehed
My opinion only ...
Have heard this before regarding a cam change resulting in noise that wasnt there before. Also use of adjustable push rods resulting in same .
Apperantly there is a quick and inexpensive aftermarket pressure spring available to boost the oil pres. that might help in this situation , google same for info.
Also , i believe that the adjustable push rod manufacturers specs. should be taken as
" initial " when being used with the many available cams out there.
Its a bit of a grey area in my opinion and some experimenting with the above might be needed to get to a reasonable valve train noise level.
The adjustable pushrods were there before, with the stock lifrers, when they started making noise. The only difference was the more aggressive cam. I did adjasted the cam gear size, so it is good, especially that there is never any suspicious noise at idle (as far as I know, cam gear play is heard only at idle).
Thus, the next logical step will be to change that pressure spring.
Is that the one with the plunger? Under the lower cap?

Old 09-10-2014, 12:51 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jokenroll
The adjustable pushrods were there before, with the stock lifrers, when they started making noise. The only difference was the more aggressive cam. I did adjasted the cam gear size, so it is good, especially that there is never any suspicious noise at idle (as far as I know, cam gear play is heard only at idle).

cam gear noise can be heard at any rpm if its to tight a whining sound. if its loose you will hear it more at a low idle but it will still tick at any rpm depending on how aggressive the ramps on the cam are most ppl mistake gear lash ticking for lifter ticking. they both sound about the same.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:25 PM
jokenroll
Road Captain

Originally Posted by D_gyver
cam gear noise can be heard at any rpm if its to tight a whining sound. if its loose you will hear it more at a low idle but it will still tick at any rpm depending on how aggressive the ramps on the cam are most ppl mistake gear lash ticking for lifter ticking. they both sound about the same.
But would I hear it loose at high to medium RPM and not at all on idle?

Old 09-10-2014, 05:32 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default shelf life ???

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
OK two other things to check -1 - the cam gear was it swapped out or did you just install the new cam with its new gear ------- if so the gear lash is on the loose side BUT you might have checked the 2 gears to make sure they were the same size -- you did not say

2 i had a brand new set of jums hydrosolids and 2 of the pins on the 4 lifters walked out in less than 500 miles - calling jims we were asked for the date codes on the lifters i thought they had issues with production NOPE they want to tell me the shelf life had expired so to bad they were going to do nothing and THAN did not sell me the parts to fix them, the lifters -- F them from that point foward -- some day i will bump into him at a show i am sure i will get a different answer i cant wait
Well i wont be buying anything from Jims again ! What horseshit !

Old 09-10-2014, 06:29 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,843 Likes on 3,014 Posts
Angry

you wrote -- I did adjasted the cam gear size, so it is good,

every one in this evo section will try and help anyone if they have an issue - no one will berate you even if you really dont know about something, its not done in this section - as an owner of a machine this is the place to come for help - just ask if you dont know when someone asks a question about a spec / an adjust you made / or a check to be done /

i still think as i have seen this issue many times and i have the tools to check the gear lash in the block i have the tools to move the cam gear around - i still think you could have a gear to gear noize ( clicking ) and or a roller pin being loose - Time will tell what it ends up to be - good luck dude

Old 09-10-2014, 07:37 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Default oil pres. modifications.

Not sure , cant remember , google it or see applications on this site .
I advised this as an oil pres. rise only but suspect other possible causes for this problem .
I believe that adjustable push rods are in need of " extra adjustments " other than those provided by the suppliers when installing aftermarket cams .

Old 09-11-2014, 09:37 AM
jokenroll
Road Captain

Oh well, another reason why I'm still dismissing the gear as the cause: excessive play creates tappet click on all 4 lobes changing direction. Thus, I would hear 4 noisy valves then. But my ping comes clearly as one lifter, not 4...
I think at this point, I should try the spring first - the easiest thing to swap

Old 09-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 7,035 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Try to locate the noisy lifter with a stethescope, then give that one two more flats, couldn't hurt to try and only takes a few minutes.

I did the same, but gave it 3.5 flats with my 32 tpi pushrods, so far so good.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:01 PM
machinehed
Road Master

Oh well, another reason why I'm still dismissing the gear as the cause: excessive play creates tappet click on all 4 lobes changing direction. Thus, I would hear 4 noisy valves then. But my ping comes clearly as one lifter, not 4...
I think at this point, I should try the spring first - the easiest thing to swap
Yes , would say the gear would give a constant whinning noise and that is not your described noise.

FYI ., Had my 1990 evo recently rebuilt by an old hand who has done this for years , including an Andrews mild cam and his opinion regarding the cam gear mesh thing is that its the last thing to worry about ?

The advise from Schex3x to use a machanics stethascope is an excellent way
to locate where a sound is coming from . They are dirt cheap but you need to experiment and practise with them to aquire an " ear " for them.
No biggy , it should take about 30 mins. to be able to use it properly.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:20 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by machinehed
Yes , would say the gear would give a constant whinning noise and that is not your described noise.

FYI ., Had my 1990 evo recently rebuilt by an old hand who has done this for years , including an Andrews mild cam and his opinion regarding the cam gear mesh thing is that its the last thing to worry about ?

The advise from Schex3x to use a machanics stethascope is an excellent way
to locate where a sound is coming from . They are dirt cheap but you need to experiment and practise with them to aquire an " ear " for them.
No biggy , it should take about 30 mins. to be able to use it properly.

whining is only if its to tight if its to loose it will tick like a lifter and it will sound like one lifter not all of them.
as far as the lash and end play goes its the first thing I check after installing the oil pump and cam bearing. there's a lot of tolerances on a evo that allow a little wiggle room. but this one is very important.

Quick Reply: Occasional valve lifter noise - anoter EVO mystery?