EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Shifter Locking Up

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 04:24 PM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Shifter Locking Up

Hello all. Having an issue with the shifter locking up on my ’97 flht. Seems like it shifts fine a couple times, and then it will lock up and won't go to go to the next gear (either up or down) it doesn’t always happen in the same gear. If I pull the clutch again, it will shift, but not as smooth as it should.

I have already changed the trans and primary fluids, adjusted the clutch at the primary and at the cable to achieve the 1/16-1/8 play at the clutch perch. Check and greased the inner primary grease fitting where the shaft goes through and also checked the shifter rod, nothing is bent and there is no extra play in the rod. Also, I have read my hd service manual and have checked the spring tension on my shifter (same up and down). Took the top off the trans and the pawl is not bent and seems to be adjusted correctly. Is there anywhere that it could be binding? Any ideas??

Old 09-03-2014, 04:52 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,841 Likes on 3,014 Posts

the selector bushing might be the issue - i have seen shift drum bearings go away and it does not want to turn as it warms up

you might have to empty the trans case and see what is worn out

any metal in the oil you took out - what type gold color steel bits - black paste what was it - all the above

Old 09-03-2014, 06:45 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

This Spring, my shifting got worse to the point of not shifting at all. The stock Clutch spring plate was falling apart. I installed all new plates and everything shifted as new. Only old part I kept was the stock clutch basket. Hint.. Never Reinstall a stock plate set up especially the stock center spring plate. Use All new Barnett or Energy One clutch guts. About a $100 fix if ya do it yourself.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:03 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i had this happen on my 91 softail, and after changing fluid and adjusting spring it still did it.... drained fluid, removed primary, and decided to inspect clutch...upon removing it, found out that clutch plates were all worn and some had actually began to disintegrate

replaced clutch and was like new

Old 09-03-2014, 08:23 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by jsbridgew
i had this happen on my 91 softail, and after changing fluid and adjusting spring it still did it.... Drained fluid, removed primary, and decided to inspect clutch...upon removing it, found out that clutch plates were all worn and some had actually began to disintegrate

replaced clutch and was like new
bingo..

Old 09-04-2014, 06:13 AM
flhchaz
Club Member

All great things to check. Thanks!

No metal came out with the fluid. The transmission looks brand new inside, the primary fluid I took out was clear. A local indie told me that if the clutch discs were disintegrating, the fluid would most likely be dark.

I'll be wrenching on it tonight and post what I find

Old 09-04-2014, 12:17 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,859 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Another thing to check is to make sure the shifter rod, the one going from the foot control to the lever on the transmission is parallel to the bike.If it is the stock rod you should be good but some of the after market rods will put it on an angle and cause binding if not spaced properly.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:51 AM
flhchaz
Club Member

*****Update*****

Took the top of the transmission again to check the springs and all seems ok. Re-adjusted clutch, started bike and put in first and it locked up. Couldn't even get into neutral. Shut the bike off and the shifter is still locked up. I pulled in the clutch and pushed the bike and could feel it dragging in first gear. I disconnected the shift linkage and tried to move the lever on the trans and no dice. I adjusted the clutch VERY tight and the bike went into neutral and 2nd, started the bike and sitting with the clutch in, I get 1st neutral and 2nd (didn't try any further than that). Would I be correct in thinking that the problem is in the clutch? I've never taken a HD clutch apart before. Any tips or recommendations? I've read all of the replies to the original post and got some great info on Barnett. Can you order a clutch rebuild kit?