EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Exhaust Questions...looking for recommendations...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014 | 08:03 PM
AAAC
|
Tourer
Default Exhaust Questions...looking for recommendations...

I'm thinking about swapping out my stock headers and Hooker mufflers to something else on my 97 RK. Would I be better off going with the S&S Power Tune Dual Headers (which I believe are connected by a short 1" section of H-pipe) or going with a true dual exhaust to get the best performance? A local shop strongly recommended going with the S&S headers and mufflers. I really didn't like how quiet the S&S mufflers were. I prefer that louder/sharper crack that my Hookers put out but I guess I'm sacrificing performance with the almost straight pipes.

The S&S website claims you can gain 8 HP just by swapping out the headers alone (from the factory headers). Do any of you guys have experience with the S&S exhausts?

I'm definitely NOT going to a 2 into 1 set up. Are true duals the way to go? From what I understand, the pipes have to be the exact same length with the true duals. The S&S gets around that with the little section of H-pipe. Any recommendations on headers and mufflers??? I'm definitely looking a muffler that is going to give me the best performance with the loudest crack. I'm not even remotely interesting in anything quiet. I like the deep throaty sound of some exhausts but I prefer that sharp loud crack, if I can get it in a muffler that will perform well.

Thanks!

Old 08-30-2014 | 08:40 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

I like S&S mufflers, they make the right sound but make sure you rivet them in place. After that I like Vance and Hines Short Shots.

Lots of people will tell you all your pets will die and your daughter will marry a foreigner if you don't have a 2-1 but they are entitled to their opinion.

I neither like the look or the sound of 2-1s and don't give a damn if my SE slash cuts give me 3HP less at 5,000RPM, I like how they look and sound.

Old 08-30-2014 | 09:03 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

I just installed some V&H short shots.
I love the sound and they are definitely not quiet!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-30-2014 | 09:21 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

road racing Buells taught me 2 into one works 3 USA national championship number one plates on the shop wall -

and a still air box makes the most power - but its fugly

single fire does nothing different if the motor is well tuned - duel fire makes the same if not more power in certain engines at high grunting RPMs -

angle the one carb to the rear 30* will make more speed of torque on a dyno BUT looks stupid to see it hanging like that --

mixtures exist that will make the back side of the power stroke use up all the wasted fuel giving a very small boost in power and fuel mileage --

no one knows for sure the location of the exhaust negative wave stop point - if you did lots of power can be extracted from that spot -

on and on and on -- not every one has the same finding in the end, and what works for me should not work for you as i did it a different way than you --

Last edited by johnjzjz; 08-30-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-30-2014 | 09:48 PM
AAAC
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
road racing Buells taught me 2 into one works 3 USA national championship number one plates on the shop wall -

single fire does nothing different if the motor is well tuned - duel fire makes the same if not more power in certain engines at high grunting RPMs -

angle the one carb to the rear 30* will make more speed of torque on a dyno BUT looks stupid to see it hanging like that --

mixtures exist that will make the back side of the power stroke use up all the wasted fuel giving a very small boost in power and fuel mileage --

no one knows for sure the location of the exhaust negative wave stop point - if you did lots of power can be extracted from that spot -

on and on and on -- not every one has the same finding in the end, and what works for me should not work for you as i did it a different way than you --
I get your point...but whatever is working for you is bound to work better for me! lol

Old 08-31-2014 | 12:30 AM
Son of PMS
Tourer

Originally Posted by Spanners39
I like S&S mufflers, they make the right sound but make sure you rivet them in place. After that I like Vance and Hines Short Shots.

Lots of people will tell you all your pets will die and your daughter will marry a foreigner if you don't have a 2-1 but they are entitled to their opinion.

I neither like the look or the sound of 2-1s and don't give a damn if my SE slash cuts give me 3HP less at 5,000RPM, I like how they look and sound.
Span, you give me hope that someday I'll dump the V&H pro pipe, put the stock headers on and get some Cycle Shack slip ons!

Old 08-31-2014 | 01:01 AM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz

Which 2-1 exhaust are preferred?

Old 08-31-2014 | 04:48 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by aces&8s
Which 2-1 exhaust are preferred?
In my case a SuperTrapp SuperMegs, although I haven't tried any others - I'm not an exhaust *****!

Going back to true duals, they are simply drag pipes with mufflers. The performance benefit of almost any other exhaust layout over them is that siamesed systems (used on every production vehicle with two or more cylinders) gain from interaction between the cylinders. That results in increased low/mid range torque, where we spend most of our time when riding.

In my own case I started life with my new S&S 107" engine by using TD pipes and S&S oval mufflers. Sounded great! Rode fine. I had recurring problems with the left pipe (older bikes like mine have a higher starter bump on the primary, which interfered with that pipe), so eventually swapped them for my SuperMegs. I had both sets of pipes optimised by my S&S indy on his dyno. The contrast between the two is quite remarkable!

Headline numbers are similar, which was no surprise, however my 2-into-1 gives me up to 15% greater low/mid range torque, which is very noticeable and worthwhile. It is free extra performance! The engine is smoother running and a darned sight nicer to ride with. On paper it might be said that there is not much difference, but that is a superficial assessment. On the road the two are like comparing chalk with cheese. No more TDs for me!

Where bikes are concerned, the origins of the siamesed systems goes back to BSA, late 50s/early 60s, when they produced a high-level siamesed exhaust for one of their twins and found, so their surprise, that the engine gave increased torque. They adopted the cross-pipe on all their twins, which every twin manufacturer on the Globe soon copied, for good reasons. Prior to H-D adopting the balance pipe on the other models, the Touring bikes were always quoted as giving more torque.

As for Buells and their excellent set-up (equal length pipes and a 2-into-1) I wish I had the same lunging torque in my Glide that my Firebolt has - almost a better touring engine! That set-up gives decent power, but a fat torque curve. It is torque not power that gets us along life's highway.

Last edited by grbrown; 08-31-2014 at 04:56 AM.
Old 08-31-2014 | 07:27 AM
junglejoe
Road Master

Open drag pipes for the win for loudness!!! HUH!! WUTCHA SAY? I CANT HEAR VERY WELL OUT OF MY RIGHT EAR!!

Old 08-31-2014 | 08:49 AM
bucaman
Cruiser
Default Bassani Road Rage 2-1

Put these guys on this year and I am very happy with them.
Had to replace a set of VH Pro Pipe that were really for a bigger motor.
Got from the Bassanis what I did not get from the VH which was increased HP at the lower end.

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Questions...looking for recommendations...-img_20140525_110703774.jpg  

Quick Reply: Exhaust Questions...looking for recommendations...