EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Fuel light

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 06:56 AM
EGO82
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel light

Is there a way to reset the fuel light? Mine seems to come on very prematurely. It will then go off and come back on so I never know if I'm about to truly run out. I know it's just a light and not what I actually should go by, but it drives me crazy to have a light on that's shouldn't be.

Its a 96 road king FI by the way.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:51 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Sounds like there is something wrong with the float in your tank.

Another option is disconnecting the light.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:54 AM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine acts a little funny as well and yes...it's likely the float. That can be removed and cleaned/adjusted, but I've never had the one out of my RK, so I don't know exactly how to get to it. That gauge cap is not suppose to be removed and I'm not sure if you can get to the guts by removing the top tank cover or not. I just note how much fuel I add at stops and also note the needle position on the gauge. After doing this for a while, I know exactly how much fuel I have in the tank based on the needle position. My light will come on at cranking and stay on for several seconds no matter if the tank is full or not.

I will tell you that I was in a state of duress once on an EFI bagger. I had to get home in a hurry and the warning light came on. I surmised that I should be able to make the next gas station about 20-miles from where I was, because the manual says I had about 30-miles left when that light came on. Well....I didn't. She nosed-over and died about 1-mile from the gas station, so I found out that I had 19-miles left when that warning light came on. Every gauge in every bike can be different. I just calibrate my needle position in my mind with how much fuel I add at that needle position and don't worry about the light.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:05 AM
mayhemmaster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=texashillcountry;13068797]Sounds like there is something wrong with the float in your tank.

This seems right

Old 08-07-2014, 08:19 AM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

There doesnt seem to be a very good "slosh module" in the clusters of these bikes.. Mine will come on if I accelerate from a stop at 1/4 tank. Then, if I decel, it will go off.. Honestly, I dont worry about it, thats your "reserve", I just fill the fkr up shortly before/after it comes on.. With that said, you can take the plate off, the pick-up/filter/pump/sending unit are all accessible at that point.. I'd just make sure to get a new gasket beforehand. I dont like the idea of reusing the old one, plus it may swell and not fit once removed..

Old 08-07-2014, 08:53 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Nothing wrong with the float. They can be accessed and the float rod can be bent to readjust the float. If you remove the plate on a bagger you need to get new bolts in order to reseal it.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:07 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Beemervet
Nothing wrong with the float. They can be accessed and the float rod can be bent to readjust the float. If you remove the plate on a bagger you need to get new bolts in order to reseal it.
If you have to readjust the float rod then there is something wrong with the float.

It is sitting at the wrong angle.

No matter what OP needs to open the tank and take a look.
That is if he cares enough.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:06 PM
EGO82
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were the float wouldn't it cause the gauge to show low fuel level?? This light comes on with showing 3/4 full and at other randoms levels

Just curious not being a doubter.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:01 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by EGO82
If it were the float wouldn't it cause the gauge to show low fuel level?? This light comes on with showing 3/4 full and at other randoms levels

Just curious not being a doubter.

Yeah that definitely points to something besides the float.
What I'm not sure because I have no experience with a Harley fuel gauge.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:04 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Look, HD fuel gauges are not known for accuracy. If it really bothers you, spend a lot of time readjusting the float by bending the rod. I tried it once and did not think it was worth the effort. But that is just my experience. I just ride the damn things until I hit reserve, then fill up.

Don't sweat the small stuff, it's a motorsickle. Enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Fuel light