EVO All Evo Model Discussion

reman engine program discontinued?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 03:54 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default reman engine program discontinued?

Went to the dealer down the street, today, to give my engine back for a new one and the guy says the program was discontinued...wtf?

but, he did say it was being replaced by a 'long block program' which might be kinda cool when you think about it.... maybe even less expensive?

Old 07-25-2014, 05:06 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,747 Likes on 2,013 Posts

Considering that most of my remanned engine was "new" when I got it back (cases, barrels, heads, all chrome, etc., it was really a "remanufacturing" program in name only.

Haven't they had a "long block" program all along? It was called the "smart start" program, to sell engines outright. Even that seems to have disappeared from the website. As I remembered, a new engine was about $1K more than a remanned engine.

The thing I liked about the remanufacturing program, was that I kept my engine VIN number. With a "long block" program, wouldn't I lose my "matching numbers"? To me, that's a deal breaker. Around here, non-matching numbers mean only one thing to the law-"stolen bike". I don't need to give the police any more reason to harass me.

As far as a "long block" program, I will believe it when I see it. Unfortunately, for me, at 98,000 miles on my current motor, the clock is running out.

Last edited by Uncle G.; 07-25-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:30 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i don't think you'd lose the matching numbers... i was going to buy just a case last year and they wanted the old one to stamp proper numbers, so i can't imagine it not being the case for long blocks

Old 07-25-2014, 07:40 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

What's a long block? No carb, no intake, no ignition. What else?

Old 07-25-2014, 08:55 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,747 Likes on 2,013 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee&Vee
What's a long block? No carb, no intake, no ignition. What else?

That would be it. As I said, they used to sell that as the "smart start" engine program. Currently any reference to that appears to have been removed from the H-D website. Until I see proof otherwise, I have to assume that Harley is no longer selling engines at all, remanufactured or new.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:05 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Considering that most of my remanned engine was "new" when I got it back (cases, barrels, heads, all chrome, etc., it was really a "remanufacturing" program in name only.

Haven't they had a "long block" program all along? It was called the "smart start" program, to sell engines outright. Even that seems to have disappeared from the website. As I remembered, a new engine was about $1K more than a remanned engine.

The thing I liked about the remanufacturing program, was that I kept my engine VIN number. With a "long block" program, wouldn't I lose my "matching numbers"? To me, that's a deal breaker. Around here, non-matching numbers mean only one thing to the law-"stolen bike". I don't need to give the police any more reason to harass me.

As far as a "long block" program, I will believe it when I see it. Unfortunately, for me, at 98,000 miles on my current motor, the clock is running out.
Why in the hell would they care? The VIN on the frame is all that matters these days unless it's an old slabside shovel that doesn't have the VIN on the frame, just on the motor. If the license plate and VIN on frame match up to you I can't see it being a big deal. What if you slapped S&S cases in your bike?

I'm glad the reman program is gone... maybe now people will start learning how to work on their machines.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:11 PM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
That would be it. As I said, they used to sell that as the "smart start" engine program. Currently any reference to that appears to have been removed from the H-D website. Until I see proof otherwise, I have to assume that Harley is no longer selling engines at all, remanufactured or new.

As long as there are PARTS available, the EVO will live! Long live the EVO!

LIVE TO RIDE, RIIIIIDE TO LIIIIIIVE!!

Old 07-26-2014, 09:18 AM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
Why in the hell would they care? The VIN on the frame is all that matters these days unless it's an old slabside shovel that doesn't have the VIN on the frame, just on the motor. If the license plate and VIN on frame match up to you I can't see it being a big deal. What if you slapped S&S cases in your bike?
Texas works that way, but some states require numbers to match, or you ahve to title the motor as well. That's why you get an MSO with a new motor.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:50 AM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Everybody should know good-n-well that the EVO powered FXR's they produced after the TC introduction and the dropping of the EVO....was simply a marketing technique to use up all the EVO parts they had and that carried through with the reman program. They finally ran out of EVO parts and don't likely plan to manufacturer anymore. Praise-the-lord for the aftermarket folks!

I just completed a top-end and used cylinders from V-Twin. I don't know where they came from and I don't care. They are quality and came at about 60% of the price for a pair off the dealers shelves....if he had them. They actually look more like the fin-machining on a TC.

Attached Thumbnails reman engine program discontinued?-rk-rebuild-072414-close-up.jpg  
Old 07-26-2014, 11:04 AM
Throttle_Jockey
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter

I'm glad the reman program is gone... maybe now people will start learning how to work on their machines.
You wouldn't believe how many times I've had Texas and Louisiana check every serial number on my bike. For this very reason I carry my S&S MSO papers.

Quick Reply: reman engine program discontinued?