EVO All Evo Model Discussion

reman engine program discontinued?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 11:34 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by 0734
Everybody should know good-n-well that the EVO powered FXR's they produced after the TC introduction and the dropping of the EVO....was simply a marketing technique to use up all the EVO parts they had and that carried through with the reman program. They finally ran out of EVO parts and don't likely plan to manufacturer anymore. Praise-the-lord for the aftermarket folks!
Only part right. The reman program was there to continue making money from all the EVOs out there. The '99 EVO crate motors were an acknowledgement of the popularity of the EVO, and they sold a bazillion of them in the face of the early resistance to the new twinkies and the lack of aftermarket parts for them.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:44 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,404 Likes on 5,007 Posts

Originally Posted by Owtlaw
Texas works that way, but some states require numbers to match, or you ahve to title the motor as well. That's why you get an MSO with a new motor.
No states require the numbers to be matching between the frame and the engine. Harley is probably the only automotive manufacturer that actually uses matching numbers.

If the state requires tracking of engine serial numbers, the engine serial number will be on the registration along with the vin.

The numbers on the bike must match the numbers on the paperwork, but the numbers on the frame and engine have never been required to match.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:57 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
No states require the numbers to be matching between the frame and the engine. Harley is probably the only automotive manufacturer that actually uses matching numbers.

If the state requires tracking of engine serial numbers, the engine serial number will be on the registration along with the vin.

The numbers on the bike must match the numbers on the paperwork, but the numbers on the frame and engine have never been required to match.
You put it better. Some states care about engine number and some don't. Texas doesn't track them. Selling a used bike into a state that tracks engine numbers gets tricky if the engine has been changed and documentation is lacking.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:37 PM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I sold a bike to a guy in Monroe, Louisiana and I thought they were going to make me come over for a blood-test or something before they finally gave the poor guy a tag and title.

My state of residence doesn't care, for the time being at least. As long as I have a Bill of Sale that is witnessed by two people (maybe one of them could even be my cat for all they know), and the transferred title....they will issue you a tag and title.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:47 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee⋁13030355
What's a long block? No carb, no intake, no ignition. What else?
Originally Posted by Uncle G.
That would be it. As I said, they used to sell that as the "smart start" engine program. Currently any reference to that appears to have been removed from the H-D website. Until I see proof otherwise, I have to assume that Harley is no longer selling engines at all, remanufactured or new.
that's incorrect... what TV mentions is more than a long block...it would have been all that's required for a "reman" engine....harley wanted everything minus the parts he mentions

in addition to the absence of parts TV states, a long block from harley would not include the covers (rocker box and timing)... and from what I read, no cam, lifters, or pushrods either

Old 07-29-2014, 12:50 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior

Issue is now moot.... harley won't be making any long blocks for Evos

oh well, S&S here I come

Old 07-29-2014, 02:46 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by jsbridgew

oh well, S&S here I come

From what I understand the S&S cases are better any way.

I guess they had to stop making them some time.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:49 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jsbridgew

oh well, S&S here I come
I went that way several years ago! We even get the choice of an Evo or TC that will fit our Evos. My 107" is just fine, with a 585 cam in it, but they do a low CR 124" with that cam now......

Old 07-29-2014, 04:56 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior

true, texashillcountry... i don't begrudge harley for moving on

and yes, S&S cases are way better, no doubt... for some reason, I just wanted to keep it "harley" ....but now that I got the S&S coming i'm very happy i made the move... the indy that does the work i don't have the time or tools for was very pleased....he's gonna press out crank from stock case half and install it in s&s and bolt it all up

i could have got a harley crankcase, but they come with nothing ...no bearings, seals, studs or case bolts...just two halves ...the s&s comes with all that stuff, and it's beefier, too

Old 07-29-2014, 10:37 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,867 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
Why in the hell would they care? The VIN on the frame is all that matters these days unless it's an old slabside shovel that doesn't have the VIN on the frame, just on the motor. If the license plate and VIN on frame match up to you I can't see it being a big deal. What if you slapped S&S cases in your bike?
In California, it is a big deal. Both the VIN and the engine number are shown on vehicle registration and ownership certificate. If the engine number doesn't match, your bike is no longer a Harley anymore, it's a special construction.

If you get pulled over by the CHP, and the numbers don't match what is on your registration, you've got big trouble. Your bike will probably be impounded until you can prove ownership of the different engine.

During my recent FXR rebuild, the only reason I exchanged my original cases for brand new Harley cases was to keep the same engine number. If I had bought S&S cases or Delkron, my bike wouldn't be a Harley anymore.

Quick Reply: reman engine program discontinued?