EVO All Evo Model Discussion

FLT rear chain oil bath enclosed housing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 05:28 AM
kino44
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default FLT rear chain oil bath enclosed housing?

unfortunately somebody removed the finale chain drive oil bath housing from my bike.I hear some people run without them I also hear people plugging up the oiler hole with silicone fill it with oil and keep the housing on as it seems the chain last allot longer? to bad they are very rare and hard to find.its a part of owning this classic bike wish they would have left it on.

Any of you run without one? does it hurt? I know Id have to keep checking and lubing the chain that's ok I do anyway my 88 sporty ran an open chain is it really needed? They also, what appears to be a cut piece of conduit they cut and made a racer out of to fill the gap and used an offset sprocket. the back axle was very lose and it was driven like this SCARY!! I heard the rear sprocket size is also rare and hard to find? looks like I may have to run it like this for now until I hopefully find the housing? belt conversion seems expensive to.problem I have is trying to find out what size racers I need?

Last edited by kino44; 07-15-2014 at 06:46 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:48 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,080 Likes on 5,817 Posts

Sent you a PM

Old 07-15-2014, 01:01 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I've owned three bikes with enclosed chains and they last a darned sight longer than when exposed, so if you are able to locate the parts you will achieve restoring the bike to it's former glory, while extending chain life. The only harm to running without is the possibility of chain lube all over the back of the bike. As an aside, while owning the first of those three bikes I idly rear the can of some graphite grease I happened to have. The only application mentioned was lubricating chain! So that is what I used. It's messy, but not as messy as oil getting outside!

Old 07-15-2014, 03:24 PM
kino44
Tourer
Default open chain

Originally Posted by grbrown
I've owned three bikes with enclosed chains and they last a darned sight longer than when exposed, so if you are able to locate the parts you will achieve restoring the bike to it's former glory, while extending chain life. The only harm to running without is the possibility of chain lube all over the back of the bike. As an aside, while owning the first of those three bikes I idly rear the can of some graphite grease I happened to have. The only application mentioned was lubricating chain! So that is what I used. It's messy, but not as messy as oil getting outside!

Ok,im kinda scratching my head on this, bikes nowadays are all open but you got to check the chain often and lube and yes it makes a mess for a few trips I have always used liquid wrench chain lube doesn't sling around as bad sticks real good.I check my chain every 2 to 300 miles and sometimes just for the heck of it.Id like to get one someday but for now Ill leave it open and get a chain guard of some sort

Last edited by kino44; 07-15-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:31 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

That's undeniably the way ahead!

Old 07-15-2014, 05:16 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,844 Likes on 3,014 Posts

i have all the OEM parts if you deside you want it to be original will make you a deal on them

i have the top and bottom no cracks or wear and the boots

Old 07-15-2014, 07:05 PM
kino44
Tourer
Default OEM parts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
i have all the OEM parts if you deside you want it to be original will make you a deal on them

that be great do you have other OEM parts as well? Im going to be looking for the driver floorboads as well as the brackets they were taken off too

Old 07-15-2014, 07:05 PM
kino44
Tourer
Default OEM parts

that be great do you have other OEM parts as well? Im going to be looking for the driver floorboads as well as the brackets they were taken off too did you get my PM?

Old 07-15-2014, 07:06 PM
kino44
Tourer
Default Oem

that be great do you have other OEM parts as well? Im going to be looking for the driver floorboads as well as the brackets they were taken off too did you get my PM?

Old 08-02-2024, 08:01 PM
Tim McGuire
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interested in top and bottom boots
For a 1984 FLT Classic. timmcguirelv@gmail.com

Quick Reply: FLT rear chain oil bath enclosed housing?