EVO All Evo Model Discussion

early 1984 cylinder head bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 06:24 PM
kino44
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default early 1984 cylinder head bolts?

the online manual cylinder head image shows head bolts 9-13 for late 85 with washers which I have? it appears early 84 did not have washers? or am I reading it wrong? or did both 84-85 use the washer? were these ever upgraded? also I know its a good idea to replace head bolts on a rebuild for they stretch anyone ever reuse these?

Old 06-29-2014, 07:31 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,842 Likes on 3,014 Posts

3 different head bolts were used on the run of evo engines

very early the bolt has a thick washer and IT IS a male bolt on the end - screws into the fat top head female block stud < this is the odd one

second HD idea a male engine block stud PUT in UP SIDE DOWN / and a female bolt with a thick washer

third idea / and they forgot to tell everyone to turn the studs over // is a female bolt the correct length this time so NO washer is needed on all 4 bolts on each head

what us it your trying to do and no the studs do not need to be replaced

Old 06-29-2014, 08:15 PM
kino44
Tourer
Default bolts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
3 different head bolts were used on the run of evo engines

very early the bolt has a thick washer and IT IS a male bolt on the end - screws into the fat top head female block stud < this is the odd one

second HD idea a male engine block stud PUT in UP SIDE DOWN / and a female bolt with a thick washer

third idea / and they forgot to tell everyone to turn the studs over // is a female bolt the correct length this time so NO washer is needed on all 4 bolts on each head

what us it your trying to do and no the studs do not need to be replaced

Just curious I hear different things,Im rebuilding the bike wondering If I can use different studs and head bolts the head bolts that are female end

Last edited by kino44; 06-29-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:20 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I re-used my cylinder studs and head bolts on my last rebuild... holding up just fine. Did have a base gasket leak but that was a torque issue, and was not directly related to the re-use of studs or head bolts. I won't do it next go around though.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:34 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,842 Likes on 3,014 Posts

Originally Posted by kino44
Just curious I hear different things,Im rebuilding the bike wondering If I can use different studs and head bolts the head bolts that are female end
Ok the female bolts and male studs are the latest of the changes and sure you can put in a new set

the ones you have have no bubble on the stud correct

Last edited by johnjzjz; 06-29-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:42 AM
kino44
Tourer
Default torque

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
I re-used my cylinder studs and head bolts on my last rebuild... holding up just fine. Did have a base gasket leak but that was a torque issue, and was not directly related to the re-use of studs or head bolts. I won't do it next go around though.

Yea Ive had that happen a good mechanic told me to make sure there is no oil in the female end he said some people use oil on the threads it causes air tight seal to build up and can give false torque.he told me to use anti seize on threads to get good torques and I have had great success using it

Old 06-30-2014, 05:46 AM
kino44
Tourer
Default studs

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
Ok the female bolts and male studs are the latest of the changes and sure you can put in a new set

the ones you have have no bubble on the stud correct

bubbles? they are early 84 studs that have a female end at the top

Old 06-30-2014, 10:31 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by kino44
Yea Ive had that happen a good mechanic told me to make sure there is no oil in the female end he said some people use oil on the threads it causes air tight seal to build up and can give false torque.he told me to use anti seize on threads to get good torques and I have had great success using it
I was just given the wrong information by James Gaskets and didn't torque them to the final torque value since I didn't have the sheet they send with their gaskets. I made sure to get the excess oil out of the head bolts so they didn't hydraulically lock and give me a false reading or tearing anything up.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:47 AM
kino44
Tourer
Default bolts

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
I was just given the wrong information by James Gaskets and didn't torque them to the final torque value since I didn't have the sheet they send with their gaskets. I made sure to get the excess oil out of the head bolts so they didn't hydraulically lock and give me a false reading or tearing anything up.

I hear ya man, I learned many lessons over the years how important torque values are Dont give up on james though they make great gasket kits I only use their metal gaskets.paper just doesn't cut it with me.I will probably replace my head bolts and leave the studs alone EVO studs tend to get striped in the case sometimes don't want to mess with them

Last edited by kino44; 07-01-2014 at 03:15 AM.