EVO All Evo Model Discussion

New evo owner, a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 08:58 AM
ssls6
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts
Default New evo owner, a few questions

I've just bought a 98 road king with 10k miles from its original owner. He has had the base cylinder gaskets replaced with an aluminum gasket and put on all the Harley stage 1 stuff (pipes, breather, jets). I don't know much about evo harleys (this is my first) but I do all my own wrenching on BMWs. Here are my questions...

1) My search for a service manual keeps coming up with a cylmers shop manual. Does HD make a service manual?

2) I've read about inner cam bearing issues here and on other websites. When or what mileage should I consider replacing this bearing? While I'm there should I change pushrods, lifters, & cam? I'm not interested in building a rot hod. Reliability is what I'm after.

3) Does anyone know of really good independent shops in the North Texas area?

Thanks for any help. I'm real excited about getting this evo and having a little fun with it.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:20 AM
dert
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New evo owner, a few questions

I have a '92 flstc ..nothing done to it that it didnt need and that is basically nothing.Id leave it alone here on out and ride it.You can order a HD service manual form any dealership in person or online form a dealer.Ive never had any leaks or bearing issues.Doing a bunch of internal mods may invite issues down the road.If you dont want a hot rod,ride it as is.The factory did a fine job . There are a few riders here from north Texas and you will hear from them on indys in your sector.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:35 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

ORIGINAL: ssls6
1) My search for a service manual keeps coming up with a cylmers shop manual. Does HD make a service manual?
Yes. You can get it at the dealership. While you're at it, pick up the parts manual and the electric service manual (if there is one) too.

2) I've read about inner cam bearing issues here and on other websites. When or what mileage should I consider replacing this bearing? While I'm there should I change pushrods, lifters, & cam? I'm not interested in building a rot hod. Reliability is what I'm after.
The MoCo used an INA bearing on the EVO's. It 'should' be okay with a stock camshaft. However, SOP for installing an aftermarket or performance cam was to replace it with a Torrington.

The 'best', starting upgrades for a 'stock' EVO, IMO, are:
1) Replace the air cleaner assembly with a highflow version.
2) Replace the exhaust with a freer flowing (not necessarily obnoxiously loud) system.
3) Replace the cam. I'm running an Andrews EV27 and it's sweet for a heavy bike.
4) Upgrade ignition. You don't need to go single fire, but you'll like the higher rev limits.
6) Retune the stock CV carb. It's a decent carb on a stock displacement bike.
7) Think about porting the heads and raising the compression to 9.5 or 10:1.

3) Does anyone know of really good independent shops in the North Texas area?
Can't help you on that one. Try and find a shop that has someone that knows how to work on an EVO. And has an in house dyno - and knows how touse it. Trust me,finding someone that has experience withEVO's is almost getting like trying to find someone that knows how to work onaShovelhead.

You can do all the above upgrades, except the porting, yourself. And even then you can send the heads and jugs out to have them done. Then do the assembly yourself. Just doing 1-6 will increase the 'smile factor' dramatically.

It aint rocket science. If you've wrenched on your Beemer, the EVO will be a snap. My 93 EVO puts out 75hp/80tqwith all the above mods except the compression increase.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:47 AM
dert
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he doesnt want a hot rod...just reliability...its only got 10,000 miles.pipes,breather have all been upgraded.Again ,id leave it alone.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:44 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

I would not touch it at all. With only 10,000 miles on it....just ride it. It will be very dependable and reliable.

The only thing I might would do...is wait until around 50,000 miles or so. Then I would probably replace the INA bearing to the Torrington bearing. Until then, I wouldn't even worry about it.

You've worked on BMW's....Harley's then will be a peice of cake for you. We certainly are not dealing with new technology.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:26 PM
fxstcguy98
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Service manual part #99483-98,$42.90 from Zanotti's

Old 04-03-2007, 01:36 PM
ssls6
Road Captain

Thanks for the part number. How did you find it?

Old 04-03-2007, 05:56 PM
fxstcguy98
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hd's site

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 04-03-2007, 07:59 PM
ssls6
Road Captain

Cool. I've just order the service and parts manual from Zonetti. Your link was most helpful in finding the other part number I needed.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:38 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Go through the other posts in this section. There's lots of information and opinions about Evo's. Then make up your own mind about what mods you might want to make.

Quick Reply: New evo owner, a few questions