EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Morning Ride.....Didn't Go So Well

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 12:04 PM
J W G
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Morning Ride.....Didn't Go So Well

This is how my morning ride ended. AAA showed up and thankfully it was just out of gas but here is the issue. A couple of months ago I started a thread on here about having issues with my carb which ultimately turned into me taking it apart checking things out and I found that most of my fuel lines were starting to degrade. So I replaced all the lines and things have been going really well. I have taken the bike on a bunch of 75-100 mile rides without any issues other than a few nuts and bolts loosing up. I have never run the gas in the tanks more then 96 miles which was my last ride and only put just a little over 2 gallons in to fill it. So I figured I was getting about 45ish miles to a gallon. Today the bike died at 108.4 on the trip meter. Any suggestions on whats going on?

Attached Thumbnails Morning Ride.....Didn't Go So Well-h-droadside1.jpg   Morning Ride.....Didn't Go So Well-h-droadside2.jpg  
Old 06-14-2014, 12:16 PM
J W G
Advanced

Oh and AAA put in 1 gallon and when I got to the gas station just a few miles down the road it again only took 1.2 gallons and wouldn't take anymore.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:23 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 577 Likes on 383 Posts

Possibly,, put petcock on reserve position and drain it all out put fresh gas in. Drain float bowl for possible water in system. Also May have clogged jets. Did it sputter before it quit?

Last edited by aces&8s; 06-14-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:33 PM
Slammed-N-Senseless
Tourer

Did the bike start up imediately after putting in the first gal from AAA? How did it run, did it seem happy? If your bike starts to exhibit problems at right about the same fuel level in the tank, you may have a clogged petcock screen. Have you removed it for inspection yet?

Old 06-14-2014, 01:09 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Slammed-N-Senseless
Did the bike start up imediately after putting in the first gal from AAA? How did it run, did it seem happy? If your bike starts to exhibit problems at right about the same fuel level in the tank, you may have a clogged petcock screen. Have you removed it for inspection yet?

Old 06-14-2014, 02:29 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Ditto x 2

Old 06-14-2014, 02:51 PM
WalterM817
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had issues where the bike built up a vacuum inside the tank and the gas wouldn't come down into the lines. Till you took the gas cap off. Check for this . If the petcock is a type that requires vacuum to open it could be that the vacuum line is sucking closed by collapsing the line. Need to replace with a better line if you see this.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:05 PM
Slammed-N-Senseless
Tourer

Originally Posted by WalterM817
I've had issues where the bike built up a vacuum inside the tank and the gas wouldn't come down into the lines. Till you took the gas cap off. Check for this . If the petcock is a type that requires vacuum to open it could be that the vacuum line is sucking closed by collapsing the line. Need to replace with a better line if you see this.
Yeah, I've had that happen, too. When my cap stopped venting properly but, if it's vacuum locked, as soon as you crack open the cap it should return to normal operation.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:25 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 849 Likes on 456 Posts

Do you have an inline filter? They can cause this issue if you use a car filter and not a bike one as the gravity is not enough to push the fuel through once it reaches a certain level.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:22 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,877 Likes on 1,272 Posts

I had done a good bit of work on my 97 EG Chasing a vibration and such. had gone thru carb and plugs wand wires. Bought the bike as a project and was more tha n happy to get riding it. Took shorter rides to get my confidence built up in the bike. couple of 150-200 mi rides and I'm ready to go. About 100 mi on the slab and mine acted much as you describe. Coasted to the shoulder and ck.d somethings and tried to start it. It fired up. Got back on the interstate and went 4-5 mi it did it again. Headed home after that. Over the next 3 weeks I was test riding cking and recking anything the forum members said. Ok Long story short. I was more than confident the carb was RIGHT. Well It wasn't. 2 things contributed to this. A vent not completely clear and the speed limit was raised here in Texas. I was running the bowel dry and the vent keeping the gas from flowing as good as it should. The float was just to low. If the tank was full the flow could keep up with demand. Run 2 gallons out and that was when I had problems. Best of luck Hope ya get her fixed WP

Quick Reply: Morning Ride.....Didn't Go So Well