EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 10:40 PM
Rabbito
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well to be honest I haven't looked at it yet. here what going on riding hard down (85 +mph) the highway everything seem fine when I got of the exit ramp it hit phantom neutral between fourth and fifth gear didn't think much of it. Till I was siting at a long *** light tried to get neutral from first the shifter was hard to shift (didn't get neutral) drive off shift seem fine I get home shut the bike off still hard to find neutral I'm able to shift with hand. Had to go to movie with ol lady came back four hour later I was able to shift into neutral like all is well. From what. Could tell it wasn't binding up ( the shift linkage) and idea. I think spanner might know all about tranny lol it's a 96 softail with lil over 3" ultima belt primary. (Sorry spanner had to throw in a tranny joke you crazy sob lol)

Old 06-13-2014, 11:59 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

when Clutch is hot and not shifting could be clutch plates. My middle spring plate was bad and got worse. Put in all new plates and everything like new shifts great. I only had 29K mi.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:37 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 449 Posts

Adjust clutch properly before spending any money and possible do shifter alignment.

You saved me the bother of mentioning Trannys Lol!

Old 06-14-2014, 09:44 AM
Rabbito
Tourer

Okay tried adjusting it. I don't know if adjustment of cable different for open primary or not but. It seems to feel good but riding it take forever to disengage almost all way out? Probly did it wrong. Also on ultima open belt how can you adjust the clutch pack (probly wrong word) lcan it be done like normal clutch I didn't install this so it's all new to me. Does anyone have a PDF service manual for 96 flsts well I'm off to work

Old 06-14-2014, 10:17 AM
Rabbito
Tourer

Update. I back it out about 1/2 to full turn and it release better but it's not quite there yet

Old 06-14-2014, 11:19 AM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member

To adj the clutch, first give slack to cable so lever is loose about 1/4 inch. then on clutch pack loosen center nut, then just snug up center pin, then squeeze hand lever 3 times. then back center pin 1/2 turn, and then tighten lock nut about 15 lbs. Then adjust lever cable to where you have 1/8" slack where cable sheath goes in lever housing. Done.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:21 AM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rabbito
Update. I back it out about 1/2 to full turn and it release better but it's not quite there yet
If it is shifting good and not slipping I would leave it as good.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:42 PM
Rabbito
Tourer

Originally Posted by aces&8s
If it is shifting good and not slipping I would leave it as good.
I notice a slip in fifth gear but it's not a regular thing I don't know I try to duplicate it. But can't it random

Old 06-14-2014, 03:07 PM
Slammed-N-Senseless
Tourer

Is fith the only gear it slips in?

Old 06-14-2014, 03:08 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member

If slipping and cant adjust it out probably need clutch plates. The middle spring plate is well known for falling apart. If you replace clutch plates " do not" put the spring plate back in. Barnett and Energy One make great plates without the spring plate. My new Energy One plates cost about $110 to replace both steel plates and fiber plates and pressure plate. Do not use any old stuff except the basket is probably still good.

Quick Reply: Tranny problem