EVO All Evo Model Discussion

CV Carb float level

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014 | 03:22 PM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member

Trade problems with you?? I think you should grab some hose and connect it to the back of your petcock and apply vacuum or suck on it to open and close it with the petcock into a container to see if you can get it to stick. The only reasonable explanation is that it stuck open when you parked the bike, but didn't stick for long or you would have dumped the whole tank in there

Old 06-14-2014 | 03:27 PM
HarDlife
Road Warrior

I would replace that vacuum petcock with a manual one no matter what. It was the first problem I had on mine. Most guys here say Pingel or nothing, but I put a $20 buck J&P unit on mine, and so far I have had no problems with it. Just got to get in the habit of flipping it when you get on/off the bike.

Old 06-14-2014 | 03:29 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member

I'm failing to see how that is even possible, maybe it is but I can't wrap my head around it. There is an overflow tube out the bottom of the bowl on this carb. I have a CV and a s&s super-e on different bikes. Bike running well even okay and the gas will burn. Bike off and the vacuum petcock not functioning properly and the ground around the bike would have evidence of spilt gasoline. Right?
Keep at it and you'll get it!
Tom

Old 06-14-2014 | 04:29 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tee&Vee
I'm failing to see how that is even possible, maybe it is but I can't wrap my head around it. There is an overflow tube out the bottom of the bowl on this carb. I have a CV and a s&s super-e on different bikes. Bike running well even okay and the gas will burn. Bike off and the vacuum petcock not functioning properly and the ground around the bike would have evidence of spilt gasoline. Right?
Keep at it and you'll get it!
Tom

Not always, the drain may be clogged or the line of least resistance is down the manifold...seen a Sporty do this before.

Vacuum taps can stick open at random so do the conversion, change the oil and keep an eye on it.

Old 06-14-2014 | 08:10 PM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member

One thing that may ease your mind.

It is common practice to add gasoline to the oil of aircraft engines in extreme cold conditions, Alaska, South Pole region etc: Never hurts the engine, the gasoline and oil are a mixture, not a solution. In other words there is no molecular bond between the two fluids so the gas just flashes off when the oil gets hot enough, this is also why you have to shake your two cycle gas before using because it will separate naturally.

It is even how they separate the different fluids from crude oil.

My .02? Some one put gas in your oil tank while you weren't looking. **** anyone off lately? They are just to stupid to know that it wouldn't damage the engine. A rag or paper towel in the oil tank works better ;-)

Old 06-19-2014 | 06:54 PM
tmanbuckhunter
|
Outstanding HDF Member

I talked to campus police about possible sabotage; they will check the cameras for me. Bowl overflow was clear... No clog present so we'll see.

Old 06-19-2014 | 09:04 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
I talked to campus police about possible sabotage; they will check the cameras for me. Bowl overflow was clear... No clog present so we'll see.

Mostly when someone comes to me with a motor that is overfull they think its gasoline in the oil but its usually just that they checked the level cold and over filled it....oil looks like its diluted when its nice and hot.

Old 06-19-2014 | 09:19 PM
D_gyver
Road Master

this happens to me all the time on my shovel head. when I forget to shut the fuel off. just change the oil and filter put a real fuel shut off on it. and ride it you didn't have enough gas in it to hurt it.
I had so much gas in mine before the lifters would not pump up oil light stayed on all the way home 20 miles and the bike still runs great even after that so I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 06-19-2014 | 10:12 PM
tmanbuckhunter
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Spanners39
Mostly when someone comes to me with a motor that is overfull they think its gasoline in the oil but its usually just that they checked the level cold and over filled it....oil looks like its diluted when its nice and hot.
It runs like water even when it's cold. I figured it couldn't hurt to get them to check the security cameras anyways.

Old 06-19-2014 | 11:18 PM
cowboy 51
Road Master

what weight oil are you running ? also one of two things can cause the mix of gas & oil , bad pet **** & or bad head gasket , if the float is stuck it will only leak whats in the bowl unless you don't shut off your pet **** , I do no matter what ,if I shut the key off I turn the gas off , I don't run the vacume style , just a HD non vacume one

Quick Reply: CV Carb float level