EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Need some help ASAP, lowering 85 FLHT...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014 | 05:33 PM
jjmitchell60
|
4th Gear
Default Need some help ASAP, lowering 85 FLHT...

OK, I own one of HDs red headed step children so to speak, a 1985 FLHT. It was first year EVO only and was an "odd" year as to many things on it. We;; I bought it back in 1990 with 1304 actual miles, was rear ended in late 91 which forced me to learn to walk again after the swelling in spinal chord went down, had my FLHT rebuilt (near $10K being I chromed all I could on the a$$ wipes dime who rear ended me), and really had no problems riding for the next several years. Fast foreword to past 5 years and the spinal damage has come back to bite me hard. I have lost an inch in height, was only 5'7" before the rear ending, so now I am 5'6" or maybe a tad under. 28" inseam and 290 pounds. So with that said, here is what I need help with:
I need to lower my bike by at least 3". I put a lowering kit on rear shocks but that only dropped me 1"/ I have contacted MeanCityCycles about seat modification but as they told me the 85FLHT is one that cannot be modified successfully as to stock seat. I was looking at using a 3" shorter shocks on the rear but was warned that would really hurt handling and that was if I could get the 3" shorter shocks to work.
SO has anyone ever lowered an 85 FLHT or know of anyone who has. Any ideas as to how to lower it or who to talk to. One thing I really do NOT want to get into is cut/weld frame modification.

I appreciate ANY help, advice, or pointers to the right place to get my 85 FLHT lowered. It has 22K miles and for sentimental reasons I will not sell it. My wife passed away last month and she loved that bike a swell as riding on back of it so I will not get rid of it.

Old 06-09-2014 | 05:49 PM
bluharley
Road Warrior

Wow, sorry to here about the wreck, but glad your back. I've wanted to lower my FLT too, hip problems makes it hard getting on and off. There is a shock, I don't remember who made them or what they're called, I don't think it id Ohlin, but they might have the same thing. When the bike is stopped, it squats way down, and as you ride it will rise to give you a good ride. they were pricey, which is why I don't have them. My local indy was showing me in a book. Hope you find something that works. I tried 12" shocks, -1" from stock, and they bottomed out just looking at a bump, hit me in the spine hard. they were cheap shocks, but I here even the better shocks will still bottom out. The lowing kit destroyed my shocks, had to replace because the seals blew. Those shocks are the thing, if you can afford them, and find them. Good luck.

Old 06-09-2014 | 06:00 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member

i doubt if there's 3" of clearance under the rear fender. with 3" shorter shocks the tire would rub the underside of the fender.

Old 06-09-2014 | 06:08 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member

Good bless ya for getting back in the saddle! Shotgun Shock for the Softail but Legend Air Ride fit the bagger.
Good luck,
Tom

Old 06-09-2014 | 06:18 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jjmitchell60
I need to lower my bike by at least 3"
Just take the shocks off...if you lower it 3" you are pretty much going to be on the bump stops anyway. The only thing that might work is to go with an "air ride" to you can really lower it when you need it, and pump it up after you get going so it rides descent.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/13-034-Black...p2054897.l4275

Old 06-09-2014 | 06:42 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

Yeah, maybe some kind of air ride system that you can lower down to get on and off and up to ride without bottoming out.

As an aside, you do know that your weight, given your spinal cord injury, will put you in a wheel chair or worse, right? Not trying to be an asshat, but just trying to actually help you. Lose 100 lbs and many of your spinal problems will go away or stabilize and you probably won't need to lower the bike 3". All you have to do is cut down on the food. However much you eat today at each meal, eat half.

Old 06-09-2014 | 07:32 PM
95 Ultra
Tourer

I had pretty good luck with the Progressive shocks. Can't remember which model number I installed, but they are 11.5 inches, stock is 13. Made a huge difference. Also, I think you could thin the seat a little too. I had a 2004 Triumph Bonneville America a few years back that had a seat height that I wasn't comfortable with. I removed the leather, took a machete and cut one inch from the thickness, stapled it back together and it looked fine. It can be done.

Old 06-09-2014 | 07:46 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

Yeah, you can pick up about a half inch from thinning the foam in the seat, without loosing too much comfort. Did that to the Sporty. I'm not sure what seat the 85 has. The 86 seat might be thinner than the 85 and will probably fit. Also, going to a lower profile tire will help too. I really like the Metzler Mezlasers (or whatever they are called today) and the "sit" seems to be about a half inch shorter, if I had to guess. They grip like you wouldn't believe, but don't last that long. 6K miles for a rear is about it. But a hell of a ride for 6K miles. So, 1-1.5" from shocks, 1/2" from seat foam, 1/2" from tires, you're almost there.

Old 06-09-2014 | 07:52 PM
jjmitchell60
|
4th Gear

Thanks for the replies.
Dr Hess, trust me, most people cannot live on what I eat. I eat 1000 calories a day at most if that! I was on a medication that side effects was weight gain plus limited as to exercise due to spinal damage. I was paralyzed for 3 months till swelling and spinal column stabilized itself. Permanently crushed T-8, T-12, & L1 vertebra with T12/L1 disc gone completely. If you are a doctor and was to see a spinal x-ray, you would want me in a hospital even though the accident was going on 23 years ago. I have scared several ER docs when they have had me x-rayed in my spine for various reasons. Many wonder how I can walk now including the VA where I have my primary doctor is!
As to shocks, yes I am worried about bottoming out at 3: lower than stock. I have air ride on mine stock from factory BUT not adjustable remotely. That or even hydraulics is one route I had not thought of. Maybe find a system that will allow remote lowering and raising.
I am really looking for a custom seat maker that can do the foreword reach down seat. On the 2009 and up they say they actually drop you 3"+. Problem is I have not found anyone making them for bikes under 09. As to narrow seat, my stock seat is as narrow as mustangs sport touring which is so far the narrowest one I have found. Reckon I can get boots with thicker soles if all else fails.LOL
Oh well, will be looking for some sort of way of lowering her even if I have to go a custom frame route! I know my wife's wish would for me to get back on to riding again. Maybe even a solo seat that will be lower being most likely no riders any more unless it is one of our grand daughters! My wife was the only lady to ride behind me and with her now passed on, no more can fill her place IMHO.
Again thanks for the replies.

Old 06-09-2014 | 10:10 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member

Here's a thread I started a few years back... Can't say the lowering blocks caused this but they were on there.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...-swingarm.html

Here's a low cost lowering option. Mine's been like this for 10 years and taken me 30K + miles. Some guys will come unglued over this but it works for me. It does dramatically reduce your cornering clearance. Have you had your seat reworked ? Replacing some of the foam with gel, you can gain up to 1.5" by narrowing and shaving down the seat and I think it's more comfortable.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...-to-lower.html

Last edited by rizzo; 06-09-2014 at 10:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Need some help ASAP, lowering 85 FLHT...