EVO All Evo Model Discussion

D-Day anniversary

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 05:21 AM
shadowchrome
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default D-Day anniversary

70 year anniversary of D-Day today and I thought I'd post this. Today is my bike's birthday! She was built on the 50th anniversary! Thanks to those who served.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:54 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,871 Likes on 3,030 Posts

a 93 year old WW2 vet who jumped that day is doing it again

the rush has to be the same as the original day

in todays PC schools they wont even know what and that it happened

Old 06-06-2014, 07:28 AM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My father and his four brothers all served, three on the beaches…one on Omaha. Unlike thousands of others, they all came home alive. Those of us that had family members participate really know what this day means. And you are right, it is unfortunate that many of the younger generation are clueless.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:13 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

I was reading an article yesterday that said 10% of people thought D-Day referred to the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

Education in this country is going to ****.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:05 AM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

God bless em all.....

My dad flew the plane that mapped the D-Day beaches...So his brother could wade ashore and fight none stop to the Battle of the Bulge...
Couple of real fine men they were....

I was waiting for a breakfast table earlier this year and the man of the couple in front of us had on a WW II veterans hat and hearing aids... I just said thank you to him and he did not hear so I tapped the top of my head and told him thanks for his service rather loudly and he nodded... During our meal he walked up, shook my hand and said it meant the world to him that I remembered, my gal just about cried... Her job is dealing with people and their public records, I get to watch sometimes and every time she see a DD214 in their jacket she proudly thanks them, they are always taken by surprise and very humble... Don't miss a chance to say something to them cause they are almost gone...

Ds

Old 06-06-2014, 10:33 AM
LowriderHarold
Road Captain
Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Never forget

Old 06-06-2014, 12:53 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts
Old 06-06-2014, 12:54 PM
RLH3175
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,723 Likes on 997 Posts

I had three uncles that where in WWII, two that made the D Day landing, and the other joining the fight later. Over the last 20 years, I have known several WWII vets from the church I attend, Phillip Latimer was one of the twenty five white officers that was with the Black Panthers tank battalion, he passed away a couple of years ago, P.J. Sides flew the P 47 Thunderbolt and was shot down on D-Day and a French farmer hid him in a hay stack until the allies got there, he crashed two more times, once he bombed a train that had oil tankers, he was so low that the oil from the exploding tanker covered his plane and he could only see out the side, so he flew along side another plane and crashed it in a field back behind the allies lines, I don't remember how he crashed it the 3rd time. Mr. Sides passed away a few years ago in a helicopter while being flown to a hospital in Dallas.
Maurice Jones was a Sea Bee on Tinian island, where he helped build the facility that the atomic bombs where flown from to bomb Japan, he died last year.
If you see a WWII vet you better shake his hand, they won't be here much longer.

Last edited by RLH3175; 06-06-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:35 PM
Throttle_Jockey
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do any of you know how I could look up history on a person that served? My grandfather served in the navy during WW2. I asked him about it when I was a kid , and he always answered that I was to young to hear about the things he had to see. Unfortunetly he passed before we had the chance to have this talk. 6-24 will be 16 years since his passing , and at 14 years old I never understood why he wouldn't share it with me. In my older age after learning and reading the history I now understand why , but at the time I just figured it was the same reason he wouldn't tell me what boudin was made from " because you'll never eat it again ".

If one of you guys know if there is a way to search for maybe the unit he was involved with or any possible info it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:47 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,871 Likes on 3,030 Posts

you would have to have his service number and different than today its not his SSN and the branch of service he was in

a service org might be the place to start - like the VFW or The american legion - the VA hospital also has a deptment -

Quick Reply: D-Day anniversary